Monitor Problems

NoobZRuS

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
So heres my problem:

I have a gateway with windows xp on it and im tryin to connect a second monitor to my tower.
My tower has 2 adapters for monitor plugins. Now my computer randomly switches which one is chooses to use. I'll resart my comp and when it restarts i have to plug my monitor into the other port for it to work, and it does this at random. this has been going on for over a year now, but since it always works on one of the two my lazy ass hasn't tried to fix it b4.
So when i tried to connect my second monitor to my comp i could get a signal from that second port.
I have Ati card x300/x550/x 1050 series
i just updated my driver and updated the x300 one just b/c my friend recommended that one.
I have gone to properties on my desktop and clicked the second monitor under setting and checked the extend windows onto this destop button, which did nothin. Plz help me!

Is it one video card? try the CCC. there are settings in there for multi monitor.... the way you mention should work too, odd thats its not, but try CCC..... Sorry i do not have an computer with CCC installed to test on(drivers only....no point in CCC on my non gaming computers or on my gf's computer....)

I googled up a CCC pic

CatalystControlCenter.jpg

Pay no attention to the circle.....

Under main there is a box where your second screen should show up. drag it over and there should be an extend option....There is also a clone setting, you dont want that....

Wolfshadw

Titan
It sounds similar to the problems I had when I installed the Catalyst 7.11s (eventually just rolled back to the Cat 7.10s). You *should* be able to go into Catalyst Control Center and enable the monitor not getting a display and this should bring it online. Then you *should* be able to set your preferred monitor to Primary and be done.

I have an ATI X1800XL hooked up to my 22" monitor as well as my BenQ MP610 projector. When I installed the new drivers, it seems to prefer setting the projector as the primary monitor (regardless of what I'd set in CCC). The only way I could get it to run properly was to:

1) Uninstall the drivers and run Driver Cleaner
2) Shut down
3) Disconnect the projector
4) Restart
5) Reinstall the Catalyst 7.10 drivers
6) Shut down
7) Reconnect the projector
8) Restart
9) Set display mode in CCC to extended.

-Wolf sends

NoobZRuS

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
When i start my computer i get a error message every time that says:
I do not have permission to change my CCC settings, so i cant even get into those options

Right click on My Computer then Manage

Now under Local Users and Groups, select groups then Administrators. Your user login should be in there.
adminon5.gif

If your not, on the login screen hit CTRL+ALT+DEL a few times and you will get a login. try to login as Administrator(try your password, or no pass to see if you can get in. if there is no password....create your self one...)

Come back here if you need to know how to make your self an admin....

NoobZRuS

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
i dont have that option under manage in my computer, the users and groups tab is the only one thats missing, i see everything else there.

NoobZRuS

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
i tried ctrl+alt+del 3 times and i couldnt get to admin screen....nothin happened it just started my comp up with the reg ctrl+alt+del thing coming up where u can end process'
my ccc does say i cant do anything...contact my admin. so that prob is my problem.

NoobZRuS

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
I just checked thru control panel that i am the admin, it says im the owner and i just passworded it, but it still says that i cant change ccc settings contact my admin.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Go with a fresh install as it sounds as if windows might be corrupt.Or someone has taken control of your system remotely and took away your admin privilages.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 8800GT SUPERCLOCKED
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
3DMARK05 15,686
3DMARK06 10,588

fiber

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Just a heads-up on the monitor setup, I didn't realize I had one monitor setup (in the monitor onscreen setup menu) with the input priority set as "Auto Search", so what happened was on boot the 2 video cards initialized and 2 monitors lit, but the 1 monitor set as Auto Search would not. First I thought I had a Catalyst software settings issue and I could force the 3rd monitor from CCC, but on reboot the Auto Search monitor didn't have enough time to search for the signal, in time for loaded desktop. After all 3 monitor menu input priority were set to DVI-D all is well and 3 monitors are lit for logon. Pics here: http://mysite.verizon.net/fibre/PC/PC.htm