Sign in with
Your question

who's the culprit? trouble on my new build please help!

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2007 1:56:06 AM

Hi!

i just made a new build for my dad specs are as follow:

AMD x2 3800 (stock)
Generic case
Gigabyte 6600
Sony 19" LCD
ECS G51GM-M
2 x 512mb corsair RAM
Dynapower 500W PSU
WD caviar 250GB

Now the problem: the computer powers up and what not but as i was checking the sensors and whatnot i noticed that the 12V is only running at 5.6V and the 3.3V is running at only 1.79V, i wanted to know who is to blame for this, the PSU or the motherboard, i checked using everest home edition and a biostar utility, bot show the same thing.

Also, CPU temps run at 40C constant on everest home and on the biostar utility, yet core temp shows 20-21 at all times, ambient temp in my area right now is around 30-50 degrees F

Thanks for reading this and possibly helping!

More about : culprit trouble build

December 13, 2007 2:19:45 AM

I have never heard of that MB, but in general, ECS is a good basic board. Just not made for high performance and especially not overclocking.

Most likely it is the cheap Dynapower PSU. On poor quality PSUs, it does not really matter what the wattage rating is, they are just junk. You could buy a PSU tester for $10 or so to confirm, or use a voltmeter on one of the unplugged 4 pin connectors. Put the ground probe in a black wire, and the other on one of the colored wires and see what you read. ATX tolerances are +/- 5%.

If you need a new PSU, this one would do without breaking the bank. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 13, 2007 2:34:09 AM

Id say your mobo has a faulty sensor. It the volts were right your system probably wouldnt boot much less run stable.
Related resources
December 13, 2007 2:41:36 AM

roadrunner197069 said:
Id say your mobo has a faulty sensor. It the volts were right your system probably wouldnt boot much less run stable.

Doh!!! I knew I forgot something! :pt1cable: 
December 13, 2007 12:34:33 PM

thanks guys i'll switch out the PSU from my computer tonight into my dad's and find out if it was the PSU's fault....

if it is the mobo's fault any recommendations on a new mobo? its made for a home pc only and it needs pci-e so i can put my 6600 in it.
December 13, 2007 11:16:20 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
If it works don't fix it.

i'll need the psu for my computer...lol.

i'll just buy him a new mobo.
December 14, 2007 3:02:30 AM

found the culprit. its the mobo....swapped out PSU's and im still getting the same readings. thanks for all your help guys.
December 14, 2007 4:52:56 AM

MB sensors are always off.....
!