Sign in with
Your question

Connect IDE CDROM to HD?

Last response: in Systems
December 13, 2007 3:15:08 AM

My motherboard only has 1 IDE slot and I have 1 Hard Drive (IDE) and 1 CDROM (IDE). Is it possible to connect them both using 1 IDE connector without any hassles?

More about : connect ide cdrom

December 13, 2007 5:33:05 AM

Sure is, just make sure that you set the jumper on the back of the HD to master, and the jumper on the back of the CDROM to slave. There should be diagrams on the drive itself.

It'll probably work without even doing that.
December 13, 2007 6:00:17 AM

If you use the CD and the HD at the same time it will slow the HD down, but it's not the end of the world. Get yourself a new SATA HD down the road and use the HD manufacturers tools to clone the PATA HD to the SATA HD.
Related resources
December 13, 2007 6:02:45 AM

sneeks said:
Sure is, just make sure that you set the jumper on the back of the HD to master, and the jumper on the back of the CDROM to slave. There should be diagrams on the drive itself.

It'll probably work without even doing that.

Okay, I'll try that tomorrow, I've been messing with my new build for 6 hours now and my hands are too dusty and my back is about to give out.
December 13, 2007 6:04:56 AM

Zorg said:
If you use the CD and the HD at the same time it will slow the HD down, but it's not the end of the world. Get yourself a new SATA HD down the road and use the HD manufacturers tools to clone the PATA HD to the SATA HD.

I've been looking into this IDE to SATA adaptor, you think that'll solve my problem?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812206002
December 13, 2007 6:15:42 AM

Thats a power adapter... And it's perfectly ok to connect both devices to one ide port. Use the option CS (cable select) on both drives if possible. Then you can't do anything wrong anymore...
December 13, 2007 6:38:08 AM

aziraphale said:
Thats a power adapter...
Look again, that's a PATA to SATA adapter not a power adapter.
Amerikan_Made said:
I've been looking into this IDE to SATA adaptor, you think that'll solve my problem?
Don't bother, those adapters can be flaky and will aggravate you more than a drive that runs a little slower when you are using the CD. Save the $20 and put it toward a new SATA drive. Drives are getting pretty cheap these days.

December 13, 2007 7:01:48 AM

I have an ide hdd and dvd drive on the same cable and it works fine. oddly enough, I had to select master/slave as in cs the drives wouldn't show up in bios...
!