Any new Intel chipsets coming up?

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I am on the verge of building a new workstation and I wanted to see if anyone knows if Intel is going to release a new chipset right after I make my build. :pt1cable: It seems like everytime I build at home or at work they do that to me so I figured I would check around here first.

andytg7

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
The latest and greatest Intel Chipset is the Intel® X38 Express Chipset:
http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=29003&familyID=10&culture=en-US

However, the X48 is the next Intel chipset that is suppose to be appearing soon. I don't believe there is an official release date for it yet. It was suppose to show up in December 07, but it was delayed until first quarter 08. Some places are claiming a January release, while others are claiming a February release. There are also rumors that Intel is holding off on the release because of the large stock of X38 chipsets vendors have to sell still.

My advice, if your really in no rush at all, wait and see if any news comes out in the next week or so confirming a first quarter release date. If it turns out to be anything longer than that. Don't bother waiting. However, if you want to build your system now go with the X38 chipset.

The truth is, you should just put together the best option currently available. There is always going to be something new and improved coming out, and usually within 6 months to a year your purchase is no longer the top dog. So don't bother yourself with the headache of waiting. That's all time that you could of spent enjoying your "new" system. :bounce:

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Certainly well put Andytg7.

The x38 is a great choice is it will support intels new 45nm CPUs and it supports PCI-E 2.0 and DDR3. So if new tech comes out, the x38 chipset should upgrade well and be a decent long term investment.

Ironically, my name is Andy, and my last two initials are TG as well.

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
Thanks for the advice. I was considering the X38, but I really don't need the duel graphics. I just wanted to make sure there isn't some, more reasonably priced, new chipset supproting 1 graphics card on the imediate horizon.

andytg7

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Pretty much all of the new and high end chipsets have support for dual graphics. If you don't want to use dual graphics, then only put one card in. Problem solved. :) Don't let that hold you back from getting a board.

Only new chipset "on the horizon" is the X48.

rallyimprezive - Really? Same initials as me? ATG. Wow, that is ironic! Except my first name isn't Andy, it's Andreas. Andy is the nickname some of my friends use for me. Hmmm, and my parents told me I was unique. :sarcastic:

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007

I don't think the moderators would let me put down what my parrents had to say about me. :heink: