Asus bios

carlmart

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
A friend of mine is having some problems trying to get back from the 0509-beta bios, that he installed on his Asus M2A-MVP mobo, to an older version like the 0401.

He tried going in through the XP flash program and through Asus CD. The only thing he hasn't yet tried is a floppy, because he does not have one on his machine. It didn't work.

Has anyone had problems with this bios and could uninstall it?

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
The CD didn't work? Wow. That is supposed to be the Asus failsafe (like Gigabytes duel bios). question... How did the floppy not work if he didn't try it? The second paragraph makes no since. Use a USB floppy and try that. I have almost all asus boards, but I have never tried to go backwards with a bios. I've not had any problems going forwards.

carlmart

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2008
Of course you are right. How can't it work if you don't try it. I meant he didn't try the floppy path.

By USB floppy I guess you mean a pen-drive, right? I knew there were HD and CD/DVD adapters for USB, but I never saw one for a floppy drive.

The reason to go backwards seems to be that some OC settings didn't go as well on the new BIOS as it did on the old one. There were some problems he was having with his HD3850 board which looked like bios-related, but they were PS related. So he went for the beta bios and is stuck with it now.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
By USB floppy I guess you mean a pen-drive, right? I knew there were HD and CD/DVD adapters for USB, but I never saw one for a floppy drive.

No, He means a floppy drive with a built in USB interface. Google is your friend!

Mike.

andytg7

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Use the ASUS EZFLASH method to downgrade to the older Bios. Instructions are in the motherboard manual or online on Asus website.

Nickkky

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
This sounds like the same problem I am having. I have used the ASUS EXFLASH, to install downgradable bios but it doesn't permit me. I am running a P5NE SLI Asus board, and stuck on Bios 0803. I prevents my system from overclocking, it actually shuts it down when I load up mu OC settings. So I am desperate to roll back to 0608 which worked nice. I have no floppy, and have tried installing dowgradable bios but it will not accept.

aptus

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
WTH.
asus is killing my mobo ability to change the ram timing.
after i update to bios version 509 beta..i cant change my ram timing.. and it make my system doesn't really stable enough to run on vista 64 bit..
if there is only way to revert back to older bios it would be realllly nice..
by the way my specs is
asus m2a-mvp
ram=2x2gb Corsair XMS2 CM2X2048-6400C4DHX
athlonx2 5200++
ati 3870 ddr4..
any suggestion guys to overcome this situation??

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
You may have to set up an AFUDOS utility 3.5 floppy disk, through the DOS prompt. Be sure and read the instructions carefully and follow them to a T, one wrong key stroke and it's time to get a hold of the Biosman to reprogram your eprom chip. (voice of experience).

Or you could just order an preprogramed eprom chip, with the bios of your choice for approx. 27 bones. Kinda handy to have around if you mess up one bios you can be up and running agian in less the a half hour.

Heres the link http://www.biosman.com/

Promt service and a free ball point pen.

aptus

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
thanks unclefester for he suggestion..it been 25 hour i didn't sleep :eek: :eek: ..haha just tring to figured out and googling all night to solve this issue..at last i successfully revert my bios into V4.01 something..actually i am using the flash bios utility version 6 not version 7..the V6 allow bios to be downgrade..now i can start setting my ram configuration.. :D :D :D..
i think there is a few problem with the asus crash free bios..every each time disable the 'DQS signal training control' on my bios..my bios wont boot and with the asus crash free bios patent on mobo :pt1cable: i have to open my ram and clear my RTC..what a shame..i think that why asus begin producing the Beta bios without manual configuration RAM (asus disable it on V5.09).

after downgrade the bios to V4.01 and installing vista 64 bit, i still cant used full of my 4gb.. each time i trying enable HOLE REMAPPING on my bios my realtek sound driver will go weird and sound annoying..after that trying installing XP pro no error or blue screen (but needless to say it still 3gb ++ i can used from the 4gb)
currently testing the windows XP pro 64 bit...no error but a little bit difficult to find a driver for my hardware.. :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

just wait for stable version vista SP2..

aptus

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008

lol about that i still investigate about it..it make annoying every each time i disable it on by bios!!!i have to reset my bios setting and unplug my ram..will update you about..

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
What I'm looking at is the DQSRecEnDelay AO 3.05 ns (AO being the first stick of memory). I'm thinking less is more (as in faster). But I don't seem to be able to find the definitions, let alone how to make the proper ajustments.

I don't know whats worse, ASUS releasing a BETA M/B BIOS flash, or someone trusting to install the thing in the first place?

But the full blame should rest on ASUS itself for releasing it, and straightening out any problems incurred from it, should be solely at their expense.

Thats almost unbelievable that ASUS would be so irresponsible as to release a BETA M/B BIOS flash to the public!

They've done some D/S in the past, but thats pretty high on the list of absolute stupidity!

Anyone affected by this should go straight to ASUS, and don't take the Email route, get on the phone direct to ASUS support.

Before you end up with a motherboard conversation piece!!!!

Hi UF, if I remember correctly you're using an AMD chipset M/B right?

Look to their support forums, because the AMD BIOS has some different critters, and I'm sure you're not the only one curious about these settings. Ry

To the OP;

If after the failed BIOS reflash the M/B was powered down, the only recovery option is the BIOS recovery on the Installation CD, and you have to follow the manuals exact instructions to recover or it won't be successful.

Hopefully you're still under warranty and you do have the option of RMAing the M/B, if all else fails contact ASUS by telephone.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Whatya say ryan.

Yes I'm running thw Asus 79-T. Never tried USB flash, always used the AFUDOS method. On my old K8 board changed the bios 5or 6 times, wiped it out once had to get a hold of the BiosMan to get a new EEPROM chip. Cost 27 bones for a pre programed chip took three days (not to bad) then sent the one I wiped out and had it reprogramed ended up with 2 chips for $37 . After that I could change the bios by changing chips. LOL--I can laugh now but when it first happened thought I killed the motherboard.

Hey unclefester

One really good thing about the new ASUS M/Bs is they have a built in BIOS flash in the CMOS setup, that flashes from a USB Flash Disk, its really convenient, easiest flash I've ever used, one good thing from ASUS.

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
I read about it in the manual before I put together my current system. I'm still running the original bios that came with this board. The only thing I've seen people having a problem with is raid configs, needing to up-grade thier bios. I'm only using 1 sata, a 320 Seagate. Imho raid is over rated, I can buy DVD's by the hundreds for .25 cent a piece and not have all that clutter( exept onround desk. LOL)
When it's time to step-up to the Phenom II, I know I'll have to up-date my bios, so I'll study-up on the EZ flash. My old 754 Asus board had the supposed EZ flash the ran off the CD drive, but i could never get it to recognise the drive in DOS.

The CMOS USB Flash is the easiest yet IMO, all you do is write the bios file itself directly to the USB Flash Disk formatted in FAT32, file unzipped, no folder, the raw file only, Boot into CMOS and select the auto flash feature, plug in the USB Flash Disk, the program finds the file, inspects it, and asks your permission to write it to the BIOS, does it and its done. Sweetly Simple!

unclefester

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2008
Just because it simple doesn't mean I can't screw it up. (LOL)
I'll have to wait another month or so to see how the next bios looks. Went into Asus forums and see people having issues with the latest greatest.

TRENDING THREADS