EVGA 8800GTS 320 issue

spitz

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
3 days ago, I updated the drivers for my EVGA 8800GTS 320 and my x-fi gamer. I'm running Windows Vista for business. I've run without problems, playing 3d games like WoW and doing other normal activities until yesterday.

Upon booting my computer, everything was normal until the windows desktop started up. At that point, the monitor registers "no signal" and goes into sleep mode. If I start in safe mode, or in normal mode with the NVIDIA drivers disabled and only the default Windows drivers, everything functions normally.

I tried rolling back all the driver and registry to a restore point before I updated things without success. I know windows is starting because I can hear the desktop startup sound even though the monitor isn't receiving a signal. I can hear the hard drives running, and they seem awfully busy considering I'm not interacting with the machine.

So. . . am I hacked? Bad drivers? Bad video card? Anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?

Zoink

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Hey, im having the same problem with my XFX 8800GTS 512mb. Its been working fine for a couple months, but one night I turned off my comp (like i do everynight.) and in the morning it does what you talked about above. I'ved tried pretty much everything with drivers and stuff. However, if i plug the DVI into the other port, it comes on (But sometimes it shuts off again and i need to switch again.) Nothing shows up wrong other then my max res is 1024x768 and if i bring it up, it doesnt get any signal.

Any help would be sweet.

teamlosigp

Distinguished
May 19, 2008
Ive had the same problem with my 9600GT in my second comp, and that only happens if Ive overclocked it to far and the temps on the card get freakin hot, your thermal paste on the 8800GTS 320MB may have dried up cause your card to thermally shut down. I don't think it is a driver issue as I use all the latest drivers on my 2 8800GTS 320 MB in my primary gaming PC and ive never had any problems.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
if it was a thermal issue the card would work for a while and then die. plus, the hs would have to have completely fallen off to not work anymore. probably a bad card unfortunately.