fiddlejo

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Hello, I've a big problem with my rig:

ASUS p5K PRO
Intel C2D E6750
Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB 1066Mhz
GW 8800GT 512MB

All tools I've tried and EVEN bios shows CPU Temperature = 7°C which can't be possible...

The only tools which seems to read correctly is the new CoreTemp Beta.

What could the problem be? It is a discrepance of ~15°C which should be added to get the real Temp.

PLEASE HELP!
:(

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Do you have the latest bios version? The one I saw, for that MB is: 0501

Although, I don't see any temp fixes for it.

0201 seems to be the bios support that you need for that CPU. Hmmmm... It prolly wouldn't hurt to RMA that CPU for another.

fiddlejo

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I have the latest BIOS flashed... I live in Switzerland where it is cold right now but not inside my room ;)
Ambient Temp. is around 23°C
I don't know much about it, but I've read somewhere that "Tjunction" should be set to 100°C but I don't know how :??:

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
You won't be able to set the Tjunction. CoreTemp should be set correctly for that CPU. SpeedFan however would not be with the 4.33 version. So you wold have to offset the cores by 15C+ (or hotter).

The temp reading for the bios however is the Tcase sensor, which also can't be re-calibrated for the bios. Only a bios update could do that, or the Tcase sensor is faulty on the CPU itself, the reason why I said it couldn't hurt to RMA it. But since your in Switerland.. umm.. err... gah. I dunno. :lol:

Speed Fan is flexiable to help recalibrate though (being in windows). Visit : Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide

Has useful info there. :D

fiddlejo

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Oh man...
So I will never ever get RivaTuner to read my CPU temps correcty?!
SpeedFan works flawlessly with the manual offset. But I'd really like
the tools to read the correct value without having to set an offset
manually... so I'll need to hope for a bios update? Oh man...

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well, the MB bios will have an update, if it reads the chip wrong.

Now, if the MB bios is okay (meaning that there won't but updates for it), but still reading low temp or inaccurate temps, then the only thing is the CPU sensor is not calibrated right, which you can't fix, at all. Getting a CPU replacement would be the only fix.

But since the temp is low, your not going to hit a thermal trip, which is actually good... Looking on the brighter side.

So, just keep in mind that the CPU does have 3 sensors.

fiddlejo

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Ok thanks Grimmy and all of you

Yeah Everest Ultimate reads the right values, too.
But it says that my Mobo (ASUS P5k PRO) is unknown... huh?

When the next speedfan is release they will fix it, so the 15c offset will not be needed....they also have fixed a problem with multiple monitoring apps making speedfan show some cores the same temp when they are not...

CompuTronix

Intel Master
fiddlejo, from the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

Section 5: Findings

(A) Depending upon Stepping, the Delta between Tcase and Tjunction is 10c +/- 3 (or) 15c +/- 3.

(B) Tcase is acquired on the CPU Die from the CPU Case Thermal Diode as an analog level, which is converted to a digital value by the super I/O chip on the motherboard. The digital value is Calibrated in BIOS and displayed by temperature software.

(C) Tjunction is acquired within the Cores from Thermal Diodes as analog levels which are converted to digital values by the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) within each Core. The digital values are factory Calibrated and displayed by temperature software.

(D) Tcase and Tjunction are both acquired from Thermal Diodes, however, analog to digital (A to D) conversions are executed by different devices in separate locations. BIOS Calibrations, factory DTS Calibrations and temperature software can all be erroneous.

(E) Core Temp, CPU-Z, Crystal CPUID and SpeedFan will be used for Calibrating Tcase and Tjunction at Idle. Prime95 will then be used for Load testing and SpeedFan will be used for temperature monitoring.

Section 9: Calibrations

The purpose of the following procedure is to decrease Idle power consumption and heat dissipation by manually setting BIOS to the lowest common denominators for Vcore and frequency among C2Q / C2D variants and motherboards. The Idle Test is conducted offline with Windows programs closed, 1.25 Vcore, 1.6 Ghz, computer case covers removed, and all fans at 100%. Setting these Variables eliminates cooling issues, and allows all CPU coolers (including Intel`s stock cooler) to decrease Tcase to within 1c above Ambient, which provides for accurate Tcase Offset correction. Tjunction is then validated by reading the Digital Thermal Sensor (DTS) registers, which provides for accurate Tjunction Offset corrections, and establishes an accurate Tcase to Tjunction Delta.

fiddlejo, use the Guide and SpeedFan to Calibrate your temperatures so that you'll know they're correct.

Comp :sol:

FrankDaegas

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Can you adjust fanspeed with the Asus P5K pro mobo using speedfan?

I plan on buying this mobo, but I really want to adjust CPU fanspeed (4-pin header), and my 3-case fans (3-pin header) separately using speedfan.

Last I heard the Asus P5K Deluxe has 4 PWM sensors on the fan fan-headers, but the control circuit of 1 & 3 and 2 & 4 are tied together.

I have never used an asus board speedfan could not control, but Qfan needs to be off....or you go into the speedfan configure -> advanced and set the PWM 1 mode to manual(for cpu) under ITExxx(or what ever chip they use on that board)