Problems with large (1.5TB) SATA drives

RobF

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
I have a Dual Opteron system with a Tyan S2885 motherboard and want to add lots of storage. I bought 3 Seagate 1.5TB SATA drives to be used in a simple JBOD configuration, connected to the motherboard's SATA ports. However, it seems that the board cannot support drives of this size, it just hangs at post, and the latest Tyan BIOS revision only supports drives upto 750GB capacity.

I am considering buying an Adaptec 1420SA PCI-X SATA controller but want to be sure I will not run into drive size limitations with this as well. I can find no documention for this card that relates to drive size limitations and would be grateful to know if anyone can confirm that my suggested configuration will work.

Many thanks for taking the time to read this

ROB

hacker91

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2006
Welcome to the forums,

Sounds like typical tyan non release of BIOS to me. I used 1 Tyan board and that was a p3 Slot 1 board. Nothing but trouble. wouldnt work with this vid card, that memory this hard drive etc. On a side note the SATA controller bypasses BIOS with its own. It should be just fine with large drive sizes but email Adaptec to fully verify. best i can tell ya