remote desktop through the web

dustinbrown

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I want to be able to do remote desktop into a machine at work, from home. Yesterday at work I got on the machine I want to connect to and I went to ipchicken.com to determine what the IP for that machine was. I'm talking about the IP given by the ISP, not the local (or LAN) IP. I'm trying to connect over the internet, so the local IP would do me no good. Anyway, I can't seem to connect directly to that machine. I have trippled checked...I do have "Allow users to connect remotely" enabled on that machine. In fact, if I'm at work and I use the local IP I can remote into it just fine. I just can't get it to work from home using the ISP IP.

Instead of logging into that machine, it logs me into our server. I suspect that ipchicken is giving me the IP for our server instead of the IP for the machine I want to connect to.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dustin

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
how big is the office? do you have a vpn appliance there or a server setup for routing/remote access?

i handle most of our vpn stuff here and we were using a pix firewall for a while, but moved back to a server w\ routing/remote access setup so users can login w\ their windows credentials...

so you're not going to be able to remote into the ip address alone, you most likely have nat/pat in place so you're just using a single ip address for all of the internal computers to access the internet, your office computer is going to have its individual private ip address.

the process I use here in the office, you have to create the vpn connection to the server, and once you're connected you can remote desktop to your office computer. This is possible because the firewall or server gives out an internal ip address to you when you authenticate to it.

do you have an IT person in the office you can ask about vpn?

dustinbrown

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
We're really small. We have an IT guy, but he's contracted and only comes around when we absolutely need him...like if something breaks. I'm going to get what I need a lot sooner if I'm able to just take care of it myself somehow.

So I need to VPN into the server from my home machine, then once I have that VPN connection Remote Desktop should connect straight to the workstation I need to access?

Thanks,
Dustin