Several questions on PC upgrade.

Desnok

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
I'm upgrading from an AMD 64 3400+, 9800 pro...

The 4 parts I'm upgrading to are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor Model BX80557E6750 - Retail

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail (or the DS3L, if I can find it in stock)

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail

And an 8800 GT, whichever decent one I can find in stock (right now only MSI and Asus?).

1) Now, I have a 4 year old Antec TruePower 430 PSU that hasn't given me any trouble. My question is, will that be enough to run this new system? I also have a 160gig HD and a DVD burner, don't really plan on adding anything else. Also, does a PSU that old have all the necessary connectors for new motherboards? I know it doesn't have a PCIe power connector, but I've noticed that most 8800 GTs come packaged with a dongle. I'm on a budget, so I'd rather not get a PSU if I don't have to, but if I do, please let me know. And if I do need one, how many watts? Any suggestions? As budget as possible without skimping on quality.

2) Any problems with the parts I chose, particularly the motherboard?

3) Can I use my old copy of XP? I'll just have to call up and activate it?

4) When putting it together for the first time, do I have to do a clean install of XP? Or can I just leave my hard disk as it is?

EDIT: After reading a few things, I guess I'll just do a fresh install to be safe. I don't have that much on my HD anyway. So, format/delete HD with old system, pop in new parts, tada?

5) Is it necessary to get an aftermarket cooling solution for either the CPU or the video card if I don't plan on overclocking? I plan on using Arctic Silver 5 for the CPU. I have a big Antec case with plenty of room.

I'd really appreciate any help, thanks!

nvalhalla

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
1) That PSU is a little old. It'll provide enough watts, but they don't last forever. Id look into getting a new one once your able to.

2) Parts look good. You could always go cheaper on the CPU and use the money saved on a new PSU. A little overclocking will make up the difference. Get the DS3L if you can, and if it's cheaper.

3) Old XP is fine, you shouldn't even have to call.

4) You will likely have to format the drive, I did. Plan on having to do so, but try to install over your old one first if you can...

5) Aftermarket isn't necessary, even if you do overclock. the stock HS/fan is really pretty good and can handle a decent overclock.

Agree on all points. I'd probably be even more skeptical about the PSU. FSP makes some decent lower-priced ones. 500W on a quality PSU should be fine.
Depending on what games you want to play and your resolution, you could drop the GPU back to a HD3850; that's still a whopping upgrade over what you have now.

1) PSUs age over time and wont be able to support the full rated capacity as time passes. You might be able to get by with what you have now. And you might find the first time you stress your new video card that the PSU is not be up to the job.
4) You might be able to get by with the XP Repair option. I've tried it twice and been successful once.
Read all the warnings - twice!
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Desnok

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Thanks for all the responses!

If I do try to squeak by with my current PSU, will it damage anything if it's not enough? Or will things just not work? In other words, is it dangerous to the components?