P5B deluxe Memory failure

Ed-B

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Hello All:
I have a QX6700 on a P5B with 4 gigs of Crucial Ballistix PC 8500. I have been running folding at home and all of a sudden started getting errors and an occasional blue screen. I ran Mem Test and discovered 3 out of the 4 sticks were bad. I called Crucial and they are going to replace them, but I need to find out what caused this problem. Crucial says under voltage can do it. My P5B Bios doesn't have the 2.2 volt that crucial specs for this ram, it has 2.15 and 2.25 so now I'm using 2.25. Will that small amount of overvoltage hurt my ram? How should I set this up so the new ram isn't ruined.
Ed

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
That's very odd...I have the same memory and have had a few issues...to where I HAVE to undervolt one of my sticks to keep it from giving me errors. The tech told me that it's OK to undervolt...as long as there are NO errors. It should enhance the life of the memory. In your case...2.25 should not be all that big a deal. You are only half a tenth of a volt over. I don't expect that to do any harm. Funny...in your case it causes errors to undervolt...and in mine...makes everything perfect...

Bob

RaezorBurn

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2005
I have almost the same setup: Q6600, P5b Deluxe, 4 GB of Crucial Ballistix 8500. Getting the same problems, leave the computer on long enough (overnight will do it) and in the morning blue screen. The errors indicate memory problems, memtest will indicate different sticks failing each time. If you leave the computer off for a few minutes, memtest passes with flying colors. Temps are good, (CPU 38, MB 41) voltage set anywhere from 2volts (which is what SPD indicates) right up to 2.25v. I tried only 2GB thinking the motherboard couldn't handle 4 Dimms very well (some forum posts indicated P5b is weak with 4), but the 2 dimms caused the same thing, just took longer (3 days). I've tried running the memory underclocked at 1:1 (266Mhz or DDR2 533) and undervolted (1.95v) with a fan blowing right unto the sticks. Same problem.

Asus does not reply to tech service issue. I'm beginning to thing the MB does not like the RAM.