Sign in with
Your question

SAS 15K RPM Drive 75GB for $60 Can this be used for OS ??

Last response: in Storage
October 24, 2008 8:14:14 PM

Just bought:

New 15k 73 GB Fujitsu SAS 16mb cache hard drives Model# MAX3073RC

for $60. My question is the dude says all I need is a SAS to SATA cable. Is this true??

Do these work for my main drive to put Windows Vista in?

Sounds a little too good to be true.

At fry's they said I needed some sort of controller card. Is this true???

Or will it just work with the SAS to SATA cable adapter? I saw one at amazon for like $11.

Please let me know......

More about : sas 15k rpm drive 75gb

Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 24, 2008 8:35:06 PM

probably... but you might lose bandwidth with a sata cable... I think thats why they have their own interface... you would been better off just buying a fast standard HDD for 60$... because IDK... but a SAS to SATA cable is probably charged a lot because demand isn't high... and they need to make some profit of manufacturing them
October 24, 2008 9:07:53 PM

I've done a similiar setup on some old hard drives in a raid array on my media server cause i got the drives for free and though i haven't tried to install an OS on one i don't see why it wouldn't work. I do agree though that you probably loose a bit of bandwidth over a full scsi setup but not much that you can notice and its still faster then any other hard drive your going to find for $60. Couple words of caution though 15k drives are loud and hot and unless you know how old the drive is and how many hours it has run its usually a bad idea to install an OS on a used drive. It can cause you some serious headaches when it randomly craps out and starts feeding disc read errors to you cause its at the end of its life. I run them in a raid 5 because of that but you don't have enough drives to do so.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
October 24, 2008 9:27:40 PM

They are brand New in its packaging still. So you guys think Id be safe to throw My OS on it? And my storage on a regular 500GB drive 7200RPM's?
October 24, 2008 9:32:27 PM

Ya, id say go for it long as you MB recognizes.
October 24, 2008 9:34:02 PM

Sata HDDs can work on SAS controllers via a cable...

SAS HDDs do not work on Sata controllers however. You will need a PCIe SAS Card.

Its probably a great HDD tho, maybe like a velociraptor if your lucky.
October 24, 2008 10:21:33 PM

So you're telling me the Harddrive won't work then with the SAS to SATA cable?

This is turning out to be more trouble than its worth.
a b G Storage
October 24, 2008 11:24:02 PM

SATA and SAS use the same cable. They are identical in every way. What you need is a controller that "speaks" SAS, which your onboard SATA controllers do not. If you got a PCIe/PCI SAS card, then you could use it, with any SATA cable you have laying around.
a c 177 G Storage
October 24, 2008 11:48:17 PM

You need a SAS controller. Interestingly, it looks like the X58 motherboards will include a SAS controller which can attach SAS or SATA drives.

I once bought a 15k SCSI drive and cheap scsi controller on e-bay. It worked just fine for the OS and whatever. The performance was no better than a raptor, though. The reason is that the 15k drives are designed for servers. Their microcode optimizes random retrievals at the expense of the more typical access patterns of the desktop user.
a c 177 G Storage
November 3, 2008 1:06:30 PM

I used an adaptec 19160 scsi pci card which cost me about $25 on e-bay. The data transfer rate if the pci bus is about twice the capability of a 15k drive. Two 15k drives can operate concurrently withought interference. 3 or 4 drives would probably work ok since concurrent data transfer of all 4 would not be common. That card is not a raid card.
If you want raid, the controller card will be more expensive. A SAS controller card will also be more expensive, but it might be reasonable if it does not have raid.
XP had no problems recognizing the SCSI devices, and I imagine that Vista would not either.
November 6, 2008 9:21:24 PM

4745454b said:
SATA and SAS use the same cable. They are identical in every way. What you need is a controller that "speaks" SAS, which your onboard SATA controllers do not. If you got a PCIe/PCI SAS card, then you could use it, with any SATA cable you have laying around.

SAS and SATA drive conections are not the same and do NOT use the same cable. They use completely different connectors. SATA works with a power cable and a data cable. The connector on a SAS drive is a single connection. You can NOT plug SATA power or SATA data into a SAS drive. It will NOT plug in. In fact if you want to plug a SAS drive directly into a SAS controller you will need a special cable, the standard 8087 to 4 drive fanout that comes with most SAS controllers is for SATA drives.

I would say to the OP that the drive is going to be fast but it will come at the expense of having to buy a SAS controller. SAS controllers with a processor on board (the good ones) are kinda expensive. The Adaptec 2405 is one of the lower cost ones that is very fast. You will need the special cable I mentioned above too mSASx4 (SFF-8087) to SAS(4)x1 (SFF-8482) on this page http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/cables/cables/sas....
a c 177 G Storage
November 6, 2008 9:39:14 PM

For what it's worth, many of the new X58/nehalem motherboards have a SAS controller onboard. It makes the sas 15k drives more interesting. You can attach either a SATA or a SAS device to them.
!