Newly built computer - CPU overheating

mammu84

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
It's been a while since I built a computer but I decided to do so anyway knowing it would be fun. I got the box together with the following components,

Intel CPU 6700
Asus Maximus SE
Cool Master 690 Case (3 fans)
Cool Master Real Power Pro 650 PSU
eVGA NVidia 8800 GT 512MB vid card

When I initially started up the computer, it kept shutting down within a minute. I put some Silver Thermal compound between the CPU and the heatsink and that seemed to help a little bit. Now the computer stayed up and the bios temperature scale reported 90+ degrees. After reseating the heatsink properly (I checked to make sure the legs are tightly against the mobo), the temperature is the following:

CPU 63.0
MB 32.0
NB 41.5
SB 40.5

I did some research into the forums and these are way too high. Anyone have any ideas what I'm missing or what I can do to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

R.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Carefully follow the motherboard's guide regarding the instructions to install the CPU heatsink and fan. Did you connect the CPU fan to the motherboard?

mammu84

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Thanks for your replies. I had followed the guide on installing the CPU and the heatsink (wasn't much use actually). The cpu fan is connected to the mobo as well.

I called Asus up and they said that a bios update was mandatory because there were issues with temperature readings as well as other issues. This did not work either.

I reseated the heatsink and redid the thermal compound to confirm that the compound wasn't too thick. This didn't work either as the temp went over 95 and I had to shutdown immediately.

Seems like something with the heatsink and the cpu but I can't identify what the issue can be. I've seated the heatsink as well as I can see and the compound is very thin.

cfvh600

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Does the CPU heatsink get hot? Hold your finger against it when the PC starts up. If it doesn't get hot then the CPU is definately not making contact with the HSF.

pojomofo

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
This might be a stupid question, but can you physically see the fan spinning?

Are any of the fins on the Heatsink bent?

are you using stock HSF?

mammu84

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Hmmm. I've never heard about using a line of compound put I will give it a try and see if that helps.

Yes, the fan is spinning. No fins are bent on the heatsink. I'm using the HSF that came with the intel chip.

Thanks for the suggestions.