Bypassing the PC with a wireless handheld

a b F Wireless
August 4, 2005 1:22:32 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

I have owned non-wireless PDA's before, but just bought a wireless one. Is
there a way to bypass the PC altogether, and do things such as install new
software onto it directly, without having to also own a PC? Ditto reading
my email. I really don't see why I have to synch it on a daily basis if
it's always connected to the Internet anyway. This is a Dell Axim wireless
PDA, with the Windows operating system. Thanks.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 4, 2005 11:31:50 AM

"Matt Beckwith" <beckwith@wchsys.org> wrote in message
news:D crqk802n2j@enews4.newsguy.com...
> I have owned non-wireless PDA's before, but just bought a wireless one.
Is
> there a way to bypass the PC altogether, and do things such as install new
> software onto it directly, without having to also own a PC? Ditto reading
> my email. I really don't see why I have to synch it on a daily basis if
> it's always connected to the Internet anyway. This is a Dell Axim
wireless
> PDA, with the Windows operating system. Thanks.

You can certainly access your e-mail, either via your own router, or via
public WiFi access points (expensive). If the PDA has bluetooth, you can
also access it via a bluetooth enabled mobile phone.

AFAIK, you cannot install applications without a PC. This was one area
(among others) where the late Psion 5mx had it beat.

Ian.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 4, 2005 8:09:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.handhelds (More info?)

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 21:22:32 -0400, "Matt Beckwith"
<beckwith@wchsys.org> wrote:

>I have owned non-wireless PDA's before, but just bought a wireless one. Is
>there a way to bypass the PC altogether, and do things such as install new
>software onto it directly, without having to also own a PC? Ditto reading
>my email. I really don't see why I have to synch it on a daily basis if
>it's always connected to the Internet anyway. This is a Dell Axim wireless
>PDA, with the Windows operating system. Thanks.

Whether you can install a program without a PC depends very much on
how the installation package is constructed. The vast majority of
installation packages for CE/Pocket PC use CAB files, which do all the
real work. If you can access the CAB files directly and can determine
which one is appropriate for you, then you can copy it to your
handheld and "run" it to install the program. (This is easier to do
than to explain. And probably easier to do than to understand this
explanation.)

Robert E. Zaret, eMVP
PenFact, Inc.
500 Harrison Ave., Suite 3R