Sudden Shutdown procedure?

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Anyone have any experience with the "Shutdown Event Tracker" error reporting
procedure? I have a computer that just turns off and I need to find out
why. Right now nothing is showing in the event viewer, so would this
procedure cause something more that the default error reports to show up?

If it is supposed to work, I have seen two way to turn it on (Registry and
Group Policy). Doing the policy editor does not change the registry setting
that is also supposed to active the Tracker. Which one do I need to
activate to get some good information.

Thanks,
Clark

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293814

In the link at the bottom of your post, it states that

Note Microsoft recommends that you do not enable the Shutdown Event Tracker
in Windows XP Professional, Windows XP Tablet PC, or Windows XP Media Center
Editions. Microsoft does not support the use of this component in these
Windows XP environments.

Have you gone into Control Panel...System...Advanced...Startup and Recovery
Settings...and uncheck the Automatically Restart box? This will let you see
the error message before the system restarts.

Additionally, search the system for files just created the next time that
the system just shuts off. One of them should contain an error log that'll
describe some of the details of the problem.

"Clark" wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with the "Shutdown Event Tracker" error reporting
> procedure? I have a computer that just turns off and I need to find out
> why. Right now nothing is showing in the event viewer, so would this
> procedure cause something more that the default error reports to show up?
>
> If it is supposed to work, I have seen two way to turn it on (Registry and
> Group Policy). Doing the policy editor does not change the registry setting
> that is also supposed to active the Tracker. Which one do I need to
> activate to get some good information.
>
> Thanks,
> Clark
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293814

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

When I get my hands on the computer, I will do many things I can't now. My
daughter says she can't find any error messages, but she may be looking in
the wrong place.

I just wanted to know if there were other error reports available that were
not used in default mode. But I guess there aren't. I may be
misunderstanding the entire concept of the Shutdown Event Tracker. Maybe it
is only for administrators to be able to tell clients why their computer is
shutting down!

Thanks,
Clark