jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
hi there;
my web serving computer which is athlon xp 3200+ is overheating
so i want to lower the clock or the voltage. i dont think lowering the clock will solve the problem, so anybody know exactly how to reduce cpu voltage in very safe way???

weilin

Distinguished
well, the best solution is to reapply the thermal grease so that it stops overheating. If that doesn't help, get a cheap (but better than what you are using) aftermarket cooler.

anyways, to your question. Underclocking is possible. For a board that old, you may have to move some jumpers around on the board to set the FSB to 166 (look in motherboard manual for that kind of info). If you have a newer board, you can do the same thing in bios (once again, look in motherboard manual for the exact place to find such settings). I would still recommend you get to the source of the problem and fix the cooler though.

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Open the case for a visual inspection. Check that your fans are working properly. Look at the hairballs - accumulation of dust may clog up fans / case airflow. A simple cleaning may solve the problem.

Check the bios, you may be able to lower the vcore.

lowered my E6600 to 1.2(1.325 for stock) and my A64 3200+ to 1.4(Stock is 1.5 and oddly the board was feeding it 1.55, had to play to find 1.4 as stable. 1.375 was stable for 7 hours of prime but thats not good enough....1.4 is rock solid and cooler)

As said, check the case and fans for dust, there is not reason to overheat at stock speed.....what temps do you get? 60-70 was almost normal for the fastest XP's

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
i checked inside of the case before i put this forum, the fans are running at 2000rpm, it is 60mm .
when the cpu temp goes above 65C, all fans inside my case runs at 100% so loud.... i went it to the bios to see if i can control that but there is no option that allows me to control it.
i took the heatsink off and the thermal grease was all dried out. and i dont have more of that, i will buy it, but later if that doesnt work, i want to set my cpu fan to 2000rpm doesnt matter how hot is the cpu is. anybody know the solution??

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007
To set the cpu fan to the max? Either you can do it in the bios or you can go buy a fan controller and connect it, manually setting the speed of the fan. Anyways getting Arctic Silver 5 should solve the problem. Just make sure you don't put too much or too little.