Sign in with
Your question

faulty psu, vdrop or something else?

Last response: in Components
December 23, 2007 5:14:48 AM

well, hello to all on tom's forum, this is my first post here so I hope I won't say/do anything wrong as my english isn't too good :sweat: 
I wasn't sure where to post this so I hope it's the right section and sorry all, I wish my first post was not about some troubles.
well, here it is then,

untill now, my pc was working fine with an overclock at 3080mhz, I say untill now because I recently got a new graph. card and that's where the troubles begin :o 

since the installation, I don't seem to have any troubles with the card itself but my overclock has become very instable:
played a few levels of tomb raider anniversary ok,
most of my problems seems to happen in small aps more than in games (only tryed tr yet): freeze under internet spades or even just on the desktop, bsod under vlc, return to desktop from Iexplorer etc etc

I tryed a 1h only memtest and it seems to be ok

to solve the problem, I changed the vcore in the bios to 1.35v, didn't help,
changed the ram voltage to 2.2v, didn't help, I got a warning message in the bios/pc health status...DDR18v >>>fail. this turned to ok when I set the voltage back to 2.1v
the timings from the ram from 4.4.4.12 to 5.4.4.12, didn't help
changed the fsb cpu from 440 to 333, didn't help so now I'm back to 266
verified most of my drivers but they seem to be accurate.
so I decided to search if the problem could be due to a faulty psu,
verified my vcore (1.35 in the bios) vcore bios = 1.35
vcore speedfan iddle = 1.30 full*= 1.28
vcore cpu-Z iddle = 1.296 full*= 1.280
vcore everest iddle = 1.163 full*= 1.325

*full= under tat @ 100% (both cores)

so right now, I don't know where to search anymore, faulty psu, too much vdrop, something else?
I hope someone can help and that my english isn't too bad to be read :sweat: 

More about : faulty psu vdrop

December 23, 2007 5:21:43 AM

Fos said:
well, hello to all on tom's forum, this is my first post here so I hope I won't say/do anything wrong as my english isn't too good :sweat: 
I wasn't sure where to post this so I hope it's the right section and sorry all, I wish my first post was not about some troubles.
well, here it is then,

untill now, my pc was working fine with an overclock at 3080mhz, I say untill now because I recently got a new graph. card and that's where the troubles begin :o 

since the installation, I don't seem to have any troubles with the card itself but my overclock has become very instable:
played a few levels of tomb raider anniversary ok,
most of my problems seems to happen in small aps more than in games (only tryed tr yet): freeze under internet spades or even just on the desktop, bsod under vlc, return to desktop from Iexplorer etc etc

I tryed a 1h only memtest and it seems to be ok

to solve the problem, I changed the vcore in the bios to 1.35v, didn't help,
changed the ram voltage to 2.2v, didn't help, I got a warning message in the bios/pc health status...DDR18v >>>fail. this turned to ok when I set the voltage back to 2.1v
the timings from the ram from 4.4.4.12 to 5.4.4.12, didn't help
changed the fsb cpu from 440 to 333, didn't help so now I'm back to 266
verified most of my drivers but they seem to be accurate.
so I decided to search if the problem could be due to a faulty psu,
verified my vcore (1.35 in the bios) vcore bios = 1.35
vcore speedfan iddle = 1.30 full*= 1.28
vcore cpu-Z iddle = 1.296 full*= 1.280
vcore everest iddle = 1.163 full*= 1.325

*full= under tat @ 100% (both cores)

so right now, I don't know where to search anymore, faulty psu, too much vdrop, something else?
I hope someone can help and that my english isn't too bad to be read :sweat: 

!