High Quality, High Power Modular PSUs?

1Hz

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
After looking at the Tiered PSU post here:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

I've decided to try to go for one of the tier 1 brand PSUs. To me, modular is a must. After trying to find out if the Zippy PSUs (SSL, GSM, and PSL) and the Seventeam v2.91 PSUs were modular or not, I did not find much truth to that. I'm pretty sure at least one of the Seventeam's PSUs were modular from the picture provided on the site, but you can never be sure with just pictures (especially since a lot of manufacturers choose not to show the cables in the back for modular/non-modular PSUs). I may or may not need it, but the general rule of thumb is the higher the power, the safer I'll be, right? So anyone know if those PSUs from those two brands are modular or not?

Hopefully, I plan to Crossfire the upcoming R700 GPUs from AMD/ATI, maybe a bit more, so more power = better future choices, and Crossfire ready is nice. Haven't decided exactly how much power I want, but expect it to be high, well above that of the average joe.

That being said, anyone want to share their opinions in which modular PSU with high power is really great? Stable and reliable? Nothing too noisy, dead in a few weeks, could catch on fire, or any other qualms that would result?

The list from xtremesystems looks pretty valid, but are there any other sites with good PSU information? Any benchmark test results perhaps? Every other site seems to have different results on which PSU is best (not surprising, due to the variety out in the market), any site that has nice test numbers for popular high power modular PSUs, I've checked the tests at anadtech.com, can't decide which power supply fits me best though.

For now I'll be using an A64 x2 6400+ before upgrading to a Phenom once/if they work things out in 2008. If you need any more info off me, feel free to ask.

I use ttgi superflower, which isn't tier one, but works great and is quiet. Not available anymore; take a look at Hippro, which has a screw in modular design with mesh cables. Corsair and seasonic have the best warranties. One test of seasonic 300w said the ps kept running even though the fan stopped working. It had no effect on test results.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi,

I am using the Ultra X3 1KWatt in an external box just to power ten million harddisks (the modular power supplies are handy as I am not using the ATX or CPU power cables that are hardwired into most standard PSU's). OK its only (heh heh) like 12 SATA harddisks hanging off 4x port-multipliers.

They have really got their **** together with this Flexforce 2 cabling!! The cables are easily mod'd if you need to (unlike the crappy first Flexforce ones). Also the contacts are gold-plated now!! The original Ultra's frankly had totally **** build quality overall... I poked around in one and it blew up when I reconnected it... All I did was swap the fans over and I've never seen the like before (can't have had decent short circuit protection - dodgy wiring shorting out somewhere).

So like I say check on the X3 it's futureproof and a good deal at it's wattage rating... The cabling is sweet as you can mod up new ones if you don't like the ones provided!! Every single cable is modular so you literally just use what you need!! It also has a rather nice reflective chroming (just don't scratch it!!) OK it isn't going to be as good as a PC Power & Cooling PSU but it has served me well. The reviews on the net are favourable with more demanding test rigs as well.

Bob

1Hz

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
I was thinking about the Ultra X-3 for their 100% modular PSUs with high power (even considered the 1600W, :p) . Became a little skeptical when I saw where it was on the tiered list, but if it's as reliable as you say (mainly concerned with it dying, or frying/burning the other parts), then I'll head on back over to the X-3s, ;) .

cnumartyr

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007

X3 is T2.. they make great PSUs.

1Hz

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
If everyone is telling me to go Ultra X-3, then I'm probably going to go for Ultra X-3 then, :) . 2 quick questions, how good are they with noise, and how about their internal cooling?

The Enermax Galaxy DXX and Silverstone modular PSUs look nice though (since they're tier 1), any thoughts on those?

Or are there any other 100% modular options that would be worth looking out for? From a quick glance, The X-3 series look like the only fully modular PSUs.

1Hz

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2007
Another question (for the Ultra X-3 1000W):

So there are two versions of the X-3 1000W, an SLI and crossfire PSU. If I buy a crossfire version, but later decide to SLI, am I screwed? I always thought most high end PSUs supported both.