New build will not shut down - reboots continually

Ranger007

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Have seen similiar, but not exact, problem as mine.

Computer will not shut down - will reboot continually

All components are new

Gigabyte P35 DS3L
500 G Sata Maxtor Dr
GeoForce 7100 GS video card
4 G memory - 2 G at a time (Corsair or A Data - 2 G each))

1. New install of Windows XP 64 bit edition (twice)
2. swapped out memory - Corsair to A Data
3. tried the "System Config. Utility to start selected apps.
4. checked device manager for problems
5 USB Keyboard and mouse - tried different USB ports and different keyboard and mouse.

This is my second MB, first booted the very first time but then problems not booting at all the the next day.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

Ranger007

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
roadrunner197069

Thanks for the suggestion -- but, I just checked and according to the manual the power switch and reset switch are connected to the correct terminals.

Thanks again - all suggestions appreciated.

Bill

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Is there any way you can check your PSU maybe the power is fluctuating at causing reboots? Id start there and if its OK test the ram with memtest if it will run long enough to test.

Ranger007

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Roadrunner197069

Thanks (again) for your reply - I don't have time tonight, but do have an extra PSU (brand new - hope it works! - 'cause you never know) and will try that tomorrow.

I will post the results.

Bill

shall1990

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007

I have the same motherboard, I'm running XP 32 bit though. My only suggestion is to use the Cd and update the motherboard drivers.

Ranger007

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
Roadrunner 197069

Tried different PSU (both brand new) no help.

Also:

Used the CD that came with the MB for drivers - no help

Only thing I didn't change out (didn't have another and had no desire to buy) was CPU (Intel 6750) and the video card.

Don't know what else to do except ...

I have not built that many systems and have had good luck with Gigabyte in the past - but after problems with these 2 I think I will return and pay the re-stocking fee and try an ASUS, which I have also used and once was my 2nd choice.

Thanks again for the replies.

Bill

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Try just one gig of the adata and reset the cmos and unplug power supply. If it dont work.

Do you have the 20/24 pin plugged in?
Do you have the 4pin cpu plugged in?
Did you use standoffs for your mother board?
Try t oassemble the thing outside the cast to make sure there isnt a short.

Can you take any pictures of the inside of your case and email them to me roadrunner197069@yahoo.com

Ranger007

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2007
roadrunner197069

Thanks again for the replies

I did have the 20/24 plugged in, the cpu pin plugged in and did use the standoffs.

But, I did return the board to the shop (local PCClub, Oklahoma City store - very nice and helpful guys, by the way) and exchanged. My preference was for the ASUS brand, but they didn't have any in stock so for a big change (for me anyway) I got the EVGA nforce 650i Ultra. It's working. Boots up and shuts down. Doesn't seem so much to ask, does it. It'll be some time before I get all my stuff on it to use full time, but so far (except for the fact it doesn't have a parallel port - and I have never used my main printer with USB, although it is supposed to be compatible) it is working and I'm pleased.

Thanks again.

Bill