Nvidia card on a CrossFire board ?

PashaM

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Hi, i plan to upgrade my pc in near future and question i have is: is it posible to run Nvidia card on a crossfire mobo? The mobo i want to buy is Asus P5K Premium WIFI-AP BLACK PEARL INTEL 775 and since i plan on having only 1 video card and since Nvidia cards are better in my opinon, can i use Nvidia card with that mobo?

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
A single card should work but you won't be able to add another and do SLI. There is not one single standard, so ATI has Crossfire and Nvidia has SLI.

The only reason to buy a Crossfire or SLI board is if you plan on getting another card later on, so why would you choose a Crossfire board with an Nvidia card? I'm sure there's a single slot board with the other features you might want that tempts you towards such a mismatch.

Dahak

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Yes a NVIDIA card will work on a crossfire board.PCI-E X16 slots are all the same.The difference lies in the chipset.If you have a CROSSFIRE board,you can run either a NVIDIA card or an ATI card.If you want to run crossfire on that board though,bothe cards must be ATI.The same goes for SLI boards.They'll run either manufacturers single cards,but to run SLI you need two NVIDIA cards.Hope that answers your question.Goodluck.

Dahak

M2N32-SLI DELUXE WE
X2 5600+ STOCK (2.8GHZ)
2X1GIG DDR2 800 IN DC MODE
TOUGHPOWER 850WATT PSU
EVGA 8800GT SUPERCLOCKED
SMILIDON RAIDMAX GAMING CASE
ACER 22IN WS LCD 1680X1050
250GIG HD/320GIG HD
G5 GAMING MOUSE
LOGITECH Z-5500 5.1 SURROUND SYSTEM
500WATS CONTINUOUS,1000 PEAK
WIN XP MCE SP2
3DMARK05 15,686
3DMARK06 10,588

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/245454-15-crossfire-faqs

Can you use SLI on a CrossFire board or can you use CrossFire on a SLI board ?
Well , in general , the answer is NO. But it's said that if you hack the drivers , you can use SLI on a CrossFire board or CrossFire on a SLI board.
Caution:There is no guarantee that if you hack the drivers then you use SLI on a CrossFire Motherboard or CrossFire on a SLI board, so do it at your own risk

Wolfshadw

Titan

One reason to get a Crossfire board and an NVidia card (or vice versa) would be to use a single graphics card and a PCI-Ex4/8 (x16 slot compatible) RAID controller card.

-Wolf sends

PashaM

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I never plan on having 2 cards in there, so even though the mobo i wanna buy is CrossF compatible i dont plan to use is as such, and since Nvidia vids are superior to Ati i wanna go with Nvid card. I understand that after what i said you can ask; then why not get a mobo that was specifically made for Nvidia cards? Question is valid, its just i havn't found a nice mobo that would suit me. Any suggestions? price range $150-$190