It was initially returning STOP 0x0000008E errors. I literally swapped everything besides the motherboard and CPU out and attempted to reinstall XP Home OEM. Same problem. Determining it was the mobo, I had the customer buy a new one.
Now I have an overheating problem. Temperature skyrockets from 80C to 100C in seconds and you can guess what happens next - It shuts off. I applied a fair amount of thermal gel, seated the heatsink/fan correctly, and I'm clueless as to why this is happening. Nothing new was added.
The motherboard is a POS (No, not point of sale) Intel D101GGC motherboard sporting an Intel Celeron D 352 processer (3.50ghz). It currently has 1GB of DDR2RAM, a 120GB Seagate 7200RPM HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 onboard graphics, and a DVD drive.
So, my question - WTF am I doing wrong? Should I just have the user purchase a new motherboard/cpu combo and have them return the Intel board? Or am I an idiot (Which is most likely the case!).
So it looks like you might want to swap RAM modules around, and check if the slot or the RAM itself is faulty.
As for overheating, you might want to check if the heatsink is seated properly. You can touch the heatsink to see if it is attached to the CPU. If yes, then you might need to improve your air flow in the case. If not, then you might want to re-seat your heatsink. You only need a little dab of thermal compound in the middle of the CPU, then mount the CPU cooler.