Microphone Suggestions for

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 27, 2005 3:13:59 PM

I cashed in some stock options, and bought a HDR-FX1 (HD camcorder).
Yeehah!

If any of you are thinking about buying one, or have one already, I'll
mention that this is one piece of equipment for which reading the users'
manual is well worth the effort! Videotaping in HD is kinda like
recording digital audio compared to recording analog: Even the
slightest little errors in your skill as a camera operator will be very
visible! Also, it has many features that can improve your results, if
used judiciously.

Anyway, I'm thinking about the audio angle at the moment though. I see
that Sony sells a surround-capable mic (URL may wrap):

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...;sid=yOCjnF0XqzmjwB-BNHiplxIbNm58feDq1L8=?CategoryName=&ProductSKU=ECMCQP1&TabName=specs&var2=

Do any of you have any positive or negative experience with that mic?

Also, do you have any suggestions for a good choice of mic for
interviews? That is to say, one that is small and at least somewhat
concealable, preferably can be worn around the neck, and is pretty good
at picking up a voice and rejecting surrounding noise (i.e., fairly
directional).

--

(Preferably reply to the newsgroup, please. If you reply by Email, I
will sincerely try to receive your message, but it will probably get

More about : microphone suggestions

Anonymous
May 27, 2005 5:17:03 PM

Oop, I forgot the "HDR-FX1" in the message title...

--

(Preferably reply to the newsgroup, please. If you reply by Email, I
will sincerely try to receive your message, but it will probably get
buried in spam.)
Anonymous
May 29, 2005 9:31:23 AM

On Fri, 27 May 2005 11:13:59 +0000, Gary Morrison wrote:

> I cashed in some stock options, and bought a HDR-FX1 (HD camcorder).
> Yeehah!
>
> If any of you are thinking about buying one, or have one already, I'll
> mention that this is one piece of equipment for which reading the users'
> manual is well worth the effort! Videotaping in HD is kinda like
> recording digital audio compared to recording analog: Even the
> slightest little errors in your skill as a camera operator will be very
> visible! Also, it has many features that can improve your results, if
> used judiciously.
>
> Anyway, I'm thinking about the audio angle at the moment though. I see
> that Sony sells a surround-capable mic (URL may wrap):
>
> http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/...;sid=yOCjnF0XqzmjwB-BNHiplxIbNm58feDq1L8=?CategoryName=&ProductSKU=ECMCQP1&TabName=specs&var2=
>
> Do any of you have any positive or negative experience with that mic?
>
> Also, do you have any suggestions for a good choice of mic for
> interviews? That is to say, one that is small and at least somewhat
> concealable, preferably can be worn around the neck, and is pretty good
> at picking up a voice and rejecting surrounding noise (i.e., fairly
> directional).

The choice of mic will vary depending on the shot.
I would suggest a Wireless Lavalier it is the standard or TV use.
Is you want a hand held Mic you can save some bucks and pick up something like
a Sure SM-58. Use by Musicians globally as a vocal mic. Its a good
choice for Interview work.
The mic on the camera is only used for "Natual Sound" the background of
whats going on in the scene the actual vocals are miked separately.

I'm not sure how much money you want to spend but I have been using Sure
and Sennheiser microphones and Lectrosonics electronics on my Wireless for
years with good results.

Check your local Music store like Guitar Center or http://www.bswusa.com/
for ideas.

Good Luck.

--
Korbin Dallas
The name was changed to protect the guilty.

Thanks for the thoughts! I'll especially investigate that interview mic
you suggested.

I have a good studio mic and a decent ambient ambient-sound mic. The
ambient-sound mic on the camcorder itself seems ... well, decent. Its
main downside is that it's so close to the camera that it picks up zoom
and transport noise.

One thing about that Sony surround mic that I don't quite follow is that
it has two 8th-inch pin plugs, and is said to be compatible with my
camcorder, but I only see one mic/line jack on the camcorder.

--

!