getoutski

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
hello there, I just new and I need help
my problem releates upgrading memory.

I have Asus P4P800 SE motherboard and P4 prescott 2.8
I also have left with just one module of Super ram kingmax 512mb ddr400
http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=15049
and now Im in dillemma (Im not so clever and I wanna save if I can) what should i do so I can get my dual channel back!

first here is some info on my motherboard and DIMM slots:
dimmpq2.jpg

dimm1eg2.jpg

I found some cheaper kingmax modules but slightly different:
http://qbitonline.com/product_info.php?cPath=16_66_77&products_id=1008

So is it possible that I combine those with one of mine so I get dual chanell mode?

thanks

Loser777

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2006
The two RAM sticks will work together, and you'll have all the capacity you paid for, but YOU WILL NOT HAVE THE DOUBLE BANDWITH OF DUAL-CHANNEL. Dual-Channel requires two identical DIMM's of RAM.

rockyjohn

Distinguished

It is best to match identical RAM to ensure dual channel operation. However it is not always necessary. DDR memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size, speed, and technology. But to be sure it is best to match the pair.

I don't believe the new memory would be compatible for dual channel operation as it has higher latency than original memory. Your old memory is 2-2-2-2-5 or 2.5-3-3-7 and the new memory is not.

You might have to buy a 2 new sticks to get the dual channel operation if you can't find a closer match. 2x512MB can be purchased for around $25 in the US and you can step up to 2x1GB for about $40.

getoutski

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
As I get I should go and buy two new ones but identical and forget about my old one? And is it neccesary that I buy just two same ones or they need to have special mark as dual channel kit?

thanks

rockyjohn

Distinguished
Two of the same should be fine - dual channel kit is not necessary. But with many rebates limited to one only, you might find the best deal getting a pair sold together - even if it is not called a dual channel kit.

If possible, try to find a pair from chips listed on the recommended list for the motherboard.

And the prices will be more than I listed above. Sorry but I was thinking about DDR2 prices not DDR - which are higher -about double - or $25-$30 for each 512mb stick and $50 for each 1GB chip.

If you have a good computer components store locally, maybe they could help you try to match your memory with one of similar type.