Sign in with
Your question

Trouble installing Vista on my new build SATA help pls.

Last response: in Systems
December 14, 2007 1:13:04 AM

Well this is my first build and I got to the point of installing Vista with little problem. However I have come to a stopping point. When I get to the part in Vista installation where it asks you where you want to install, I choose my hard drive then after a few minutes it says it can not be installed without the drivers. The mother board manual says there should not be any driver problems unless I am trying to use RAID but all that is disabled BIOS. I can also see the hard drive in BIOS. Does anyone know what the problem could be? Here is my current system:

Track 1 GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Track 1 Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250310AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Track 1 AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Black Edition Processor Model

Track 1 Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

Track 1 Antec earthwatts EA500 ATX12V v2.0 500W Power Supply - Retail

Track 1 ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T - Retail

Track 1 Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop M
December 14, 2007 1:34:42 AM

Yah set it to ahci in the raid options or ide mode one of the two. I can't remember I think it is ide mode.
December 14, 2007 1:50:22 AM

Thank you for the response. Specific as possible would help me greatly, Im really new at this.
Related resources
December 14, 2007 2:17:50 AM

Make sure it is set to IDE mode. Read your manual you may have plugged it into the wrong sata port. Some ports are for raid only.
December 14, 2007 2:24:03 AM

OK, if this were XP, I'd say it was the fact that you have a SATA optical drive and XP needs you to hit F6 during the install and load the SATA controller driver w/ a floppy.

But have you read and followed the install instructions as listed here:

http://seagate.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/seagate.cfg/php/end...*&p_li=&p_topview=1

December 14, 2007 1:32:42 PM

Still having the same problem, anyone else with some advice?
December 14, 2007 3:42:42 PM

Still stranded, I have RAID is disabled in BIOS. I have gotten vista to see the drivers and install the drivers I thought I needed, but it still just hangs up in the same spot. Trying to copy windows over. This is frustrating.
December 14, 2007 4:51:00 PM

I had this same problem... I am not new to building PC's either, I bought new hardware for my HTPC and had a copy of Vista home premium laying around si i decided to do a clean install over windows xp MCE 2005.

I did the IDE option in the bios, drives are listed and plugged into the correct ports on the board ( MSI K9VGM-V ) and I could not recognize the drive no matter what i tried. got tired of rebooting and entering my serial for windows over and over... So I just installed MCE again , then I did the upgrade option to Vista! Worked beautifully took an extra 20 minutes but vs. hours of searching forums and looking for drivers it was well worth the extra time. Stupid windows...
December 14, 2007 6:55:37 PM

i dont think he is having the same problem though. if it says it doesn't see the drives and you have the option ide mode selected under the raid controller options then i would say you need to give windows the driver before install and see if that helps. what controller is it?
December 14, 2007 6:57:15 PM

I sold my old setup to a coworker of mine and it took him three weeks to figure out that he needed to select the ide mode option uinder the raid controller options part. I laughed at him so, hard because we are it people.
!