Do I need to run 64bit OS ?

widbays

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Hello...,

I have a questions for you all, I need to add a couple of memory in my system in order to get better performance. But I read once over the net (sorry I forget the link) that I need to run 64bit OS in order to get the full advantage by using memory above 2gb. Right now I'm using Corsair Twin2x2048-8500C5D (2gb).

Is this true? Please confirm

Thank you.

Slobogob

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
In short: yes.

The maximum of addressable RAM on a 32 bit system is 2^32 wich is exactly 4GB (well, actually 4Gibibyte, but that's another topic).
Why do you need a 64 bit Os then? Well, most hardware components steal parts of the address range and you end up with less depending on the components of your machine. Most people end up with 3.xxx GB RAM but a fully fitted gaming computer with SLI or crossfire can end up with even less than 3GB available even though 4 GB are installed.

widbays

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Well...Slobogob, I don't actually need 64bit OS, my main purpose of adding memory is just I need to get better performance without upgarding other parts in my system such as CPU or GPU, and in order to get better performane, I need more memory right? but to achieve that I need to run 64bit OS so that my system can work properly.

So..you're saying that the 32bit OS is capable to read 4GB of RAM? How about if I need more 4GB to get greater performance, do I still need to keep my current 32bit OS? If no, you also said that even I install 4GB of RAM under 64bit OS, the other hardware is still actually read less than 4GB? (correct me if I'm wrong). That's interesting, so how do I get real 4GB or above without losing any components?

The other thing that cross in my mind, is that most games are build upon 32bit application right? (so far that I know), which I thought it might not working properly under 64bit OS (may be I'm wrong), I also need your opinion on that.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing.....

carver_g

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2007
It's all relative. I have a dual boot system with XP 32-bit and Vista 64-bit. My XP install recognizes 3.25GB of my 4GB which is fine with me and close enough to the actual 4GB that I feel it was worth it. Especially since my 4GB of RAM cost a whole US$99...

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
3 to 4GB is delicious under 32 bit. You won't see it all because the graphics memory is mapped to RAM, but it does improve performance if you multitask. Adding a second hard drive (not RAID) will net you more performance than adding RAM over 2GB. Put your OS on one drive, apps and paging file on the other.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

No. You Don't.

dengamle

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2007
By default, a 32-bit application is limited to 2 GB of virtual address space. You might have heard that.

How much physical RAM you will see, depends on your hardware configuration. Some see 2.7 GB others see 3.7 GB, it all depends

loosscru

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Chances are a fresh clean install of XP will boost your performance more than another 2gigs of ram. That being said, it is cheap enough where it will help, but that all depends on what you are doing with it.

What apps are you using that make you want to have more performance?

widbays

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Alright...guys, seems like I need to grap another couple of memory and let my 32bit XP working for crysis, call of duty, quake 4, and FEAR.

Thank you all for sharing.....enjoy your game....

widbays

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Oo...I forgot something. in the future if I upgrade my 32bit OS to 64bit OS, do I still be able to play a game based on 32bit apps such as quake 4, FEAR?

Thanks.

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
I'm surprised no one mentioned this...

How do you know it's the RAM that's bottlenecking your system? I know many people running 2 gigs on smokin' setups. What are your other specs? CPU, GPU, etc. You're talking about running Crysis, etc. If your system is bogging with 2 gigs of ram, I'd bet memory isn't your problem.

Quoted for Truth. - And this from a guy running 64 bits/4GB. If you're bogging with 2GB of good memory while gaming, I'll bet the issue isn't your RAM unless you are also running a large number of other apps at the same time. Video card is the best/obvious suspect.

widbays

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Right on here, you don't need more than 2 gig of memory to game on an XP system.

How about if I upgrade my XP to Vista 32bit, do I still need to keep my 2GB memory? in order to achieve great performance to run 3D graphic intense game like Crysis and so on?

jjblanche

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Again, your graphics card and processor are far more important that RAM (provided you have at least 2 gig, which you do). What CPU are you running, and what graphics card are you running?