Signal problems

Megin

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Hi

I recently bought a Belkin N+ wireless router because of its great range, because I'm forced to have my modem inside a closet, due to stupid wiring. I have an old linksys adapter. There is app. 20 feet from my router to my adapter.

My problem is that a have huge signal problems, either the signal is unstable, or the speed is sooo slow. Sometimes the browsing is ok, but if I download something the speed drops massively afterwards(?!) In short periods of time the signal is ok, but still just 1/3 of my 10/10 mbit connection.

I've tired to change the channels, and channel 11 seems to work the best, but still far from acceptable.
I read somewhere that Belkin support recommended that you disable Qos, change country to UK. I also read that changing my old Linksys adapter to the compatible Belkin n+ adapter could be the solution?

I fear that the fact that my router is inside a closet is the main problem, but the network connection shows excellent in Vista.
I have the latest firmware installed and use Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I live in Denmark, if that makes a difference.
Any other ideas to what I can do will be HIGHLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Jonas

G

Without any special knowledge of Belkin or N, I would probably check that you can select wireless mode in the router and select g&b (or g only). Alternatively, as you mention, buying an Belkin N generation wireless adapter might yield the potential speed of the router.