Organize application info 3 places Favorites, My Documents..

JJ

Organize application info 3 places Favorites, My Documents, My
Programs

==============

I know that Start / Programs hierarchy is where shortcuts are located
to launch programs...

and that Favorites

is for Internet Shortcuts

and that My Documents

is for documents, Word .docs, Adobe .pdf's, text files, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Thing is, when it comes to software and programs

(launched from Start / Programs hierarchy shortcuts)

there are often Internet Shortcuts to support sites, tip sites,
users forums, patch downloads, etc. regarding that piece of software

then there are documents about that program (other than embedded help
files), like user guides, text files I create with useful tips on the
program, etc.

~~~~~~~~~~~

As a result there are three different places for each of these
programs or applications, the launch shortcuts in Start Programs, the
download page and online user forums in My Favorites, and the
downloaded documentation or self created crib sheets in My Documents.

I find my self creating shortcuts from the Start / Programs / Launch
Folder to the corresponding folder in Favorites, and/or to the
documenation in the corresponding folder in My Documents, and vice
versa.

This seems a mess and counterproductive.

~~~~~~~~~~~

In another post I am asking for help on understanding "Folder Pairs".
Maybe this is my solution, at least maybe a second synced "copy" of
the My Documents Program Folder could be kept in the Start Programs
hierarchy.

Another thought is not to keep in Internet Shortcuts in Favorites for
applications but instead to keep a shortcut in Favorites that points
to the corresponding folder in My Documents containing both downloaded
or installed documentation, tips, etc. in addition to Internet
Shortcuts to application home page sites and user forum sites.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Anyone else have thoughts on how to relate the three stooges of
Windows Organization ?
John "J.J." Jackson

You may not like this solution, but it's what most of the world does:
"Learn to live with it - it's the way the developers/programmers write their
software, either by choice or by mandate direction from their employer's
established standards".

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 12:49:33 -0400, JJ wrote:

> Organize application info 3 places Favorites, My Documents, My
> Programs
>
> ==============
>
> I know that Start / Programs hierarchy is where shortcuts are located
> to launch programs...
>
> and that Favorites
>
> is for Internet Shortcuts
>
> and that My Documents
>
> is for documents, Word .docs, Adobe .pdf's, text files, etc.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Thing is, when it comes to software and programs
>
> (launched from Start / Programs hierarchy shortcuts)
>
> there are often Internet Shortcuts to support sites, tip sites,
> users forums, patch downloads, etc. regarding that piece of software
>
> then there are documents about that program (other than embedded help
> files), like user guides, text files I create with useful tips on the
> program, etc.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> As a result there are three different places for each of these
> programs or applications, the launch shortcuts in Start Programs, the
> download page and online user forums in My Favorites, and the
> downloaded documentation or self created crib sheets in My Documents.
>
> I find my self creating shortcuts from the Start / Programs / Launch
> Folder to the corresponding folder in Favorites, and/or to the
> documenation in the corresponding folder in My Documents, and vice
> versa.
>
> This seems a mess and counterproductive.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> In another post I am asking for help on understanding "Folder Pairs".
> Maybe this is my solution, at least maybe a second synced "copy" of
> the My Documents Program Folder could be kept in the Start Programs
> hierarchy.
>
> Another thought is not to keep in Internet Shortcuts in Favorites for
> applications but instead to keep a shortcut in Favorites that points
> to the corresponding folder in My Documents containing both downloaded
> or installed documentation, tips, etc. in addition to Internet
> Shortcuts to application home page sites and user forum sites.
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Anyone else have thoughts on how to relate the three stooges of
> Windows Organization ?
> John "J.J." Jackson

Create an HTML file. Put all links into organized categories. Set the HTML
file up so that it is your desktop (Display properties> Desktop> Customize
Desktop> Web) Or just keep the file handy - a shortcut to it in Quick
Launch maybe? You can drag/drop icons from other files to the html document
to add their links.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User