Sign in with
Your question

Mouse won't respond

Last response: in Windows XP
May 18, 2010 1:00:54 AM

I recently completed building my first pc on my own (big thanks to all on this site who provided valuable advice). I still have my ancient Dell Dimension 4600 and I'd like to retrieve some more files off of it. It still works fine (albeit quite slowly) - but I am running into a major obstacle:

I cannot get any mouse, old, new or otherwise to work with the old Dell. It boots up fine but the mouse pointer sits in the middle of the screen and it will not move no matter what I try.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome this problem?

thanks in advance...

More about : mouse respond

May 18, 2010 2:22:14 PM

jrobo88 said:
I recently completed building my first pc on my own (big thanks to all on this site who provided valuable advice). I still have my ancient Dell Dimension 4600 and I'd like to retrieve some more files off of it. It still works fine (albeit quite slowly) - but I am running into a major obstacle:

I cannot get any mouse, old, new or otherwise to work with the old Dell. It boots up fine but the mouse pointer sits in the middle of the screen and it will not move no matter what I try.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome this problem?

thanks in advance...

yes, reinstall XP in repair mode, without reformatting the drive or erasing the files, this re installs the mouse drivers..
If you want to know a trick...start the computer with the XP disk in the CD drive, let the startup drivers all load, when it gets to setup, shut the computer off, take the disk out. The temporary drivers will still be loaded, along with the mouse drivers. Well, it's worked before.
OR take the drive out of the computer, plug it in to the new computer, drag the files off the old drive into a new drive.
May 18, 2010 3:36:23 PM

Have you tried USB and PS2 mice? If not, go into the BIOS, and make sure your type is enabled.

Does the keyboard still work in windows? If not, explorer may be crashing.

If changing the BIOS setting doesn't solve your problem, a windows repair is a good option. Here's a good guide to doing a repair.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/instx...
May 18, 2010 4:46:47 PM

yes, a repair install of XP solves that nearly every time.
!