New build, need some cooling advice before OC

Runering

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Hi guys, I've just build my new PC a couple weeks back and it's running great apart from some temperature issues.

At the moment I have Q6600 @ 2.40GHz with a Noctua NH-U12P running at about 27C idle. But the problem is with the Asus P5N32-E PLUS mobo, which runs at about 50C idle.

At first I thought the problem was with my CoolerMaster Elite 330 ATX case, which only came an exhaust fan that only seems run at about 950rpm. So I plan on buying an intake fan, which is no bother.

However, when I removed the side panel and left it off for like 30mins or more, the CPU temp dropped to 23C, while the mobo dropped only 1C, and the RAM (Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2 PC2-6400C4 800MHz) is fairly hot to the touch. Something ain't quite right here, especially since I'm in Scotland with my window open and central heating off, so it's pretty cool in my room right now.

I'm now planning on buying another fan, probably a Noctua NF-P12 120mm, and probably also another 2GB RAM, now it's the end of the month and my paycheck is in. This will cost me about £50.

What I want to know is; are the high mobo and RAM temp normal? Secondly, an additional case fan will probably help a lot, but should I also see about replacing the stock case fan as well? Thirdly, before I place my order, does anyone have any other recommendations as to what I should add to my list of improvements? I probably wouldn't mind spending another £50 if necessary on top of that set aside for the fan and RAM. I will probably OC the CPU to 3.0GHz, more if I can be bothered, and may even have a go at OC'ing the RAM too.

Any advice would be great. Ta guys!

sprucebr1

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
Yeah, I'd say the temps your getting are pretty normal. depending on the cooler you are currently using, high temps for the CPU would likely be in the 50C range. The Intel or AMD stock HSF is not going to work as well as a third party cooler. I would replace any stock case fans that are not working with new fans, though if they seem to be doing the job, then you don't need to replace them, though adding a new case fan would improve on the work the stock fans are doing.

Lastly, I would recommend 1) a good third party cpu cooler, if you don't already have one.
2) adding a new case fan front or rear would be a good idea.

I would recommend something like the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for the cpu cooler and a good 92mm fan(s) would help as well.

check out http://www.arctic-cooling.com

halcyon

Splendid
Aaaah, I don't know if I would choose an Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro for a potentially overclocked Q6600...when you can get a Xigmatek S-1283 for a few bucks more that will completely, irrevocably, and undemocratically wipe the floor with the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro. The Xigmatek S-1283 or OCZ Vendetta 2, or other Heatpipe Direct Touch (H.D.T) would do such a better job for not to much more $$ than the Artic.

My .02 cents

The stock Intel HSF is pretty good. You should be able to run a Q6600 at 3.0 GHz with it - especially if you do not have to raise the CPU voltage. The AC Freezer will get you to 3.2 to 3.3 GHz. Anything higher will take heavy duty cooling.

My Q6600 ran at 3.0 GHz without a voltage boost. It needed 1.30 volts to run at 3.3 GHz with a ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme. CPU temps were about 55 C running Prime95. With BIOS set CPU voltage at 1.45 volts drooping to 1.40 volts, it reaches 3.6 GHz with 65 C core temps while running Prime95.

Running the system breadboarded or installed in an Antec 900 case does not affect the temperatures. Even with the fans set to Low, the case does a good job of moving air.

The Xigmatek HSF's have gotten very good reviews and they are not expensive.

Runering

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Thanks for the replies guys, but I already have a Noctua NH-U12P as my CPU cooler, and it does it's job very well and very quietly. I was going to buy a TRUE, but the online suppliers I used were outta stock.

OC'ing my Q6600 shouldn't be too much hassle, it's the other bits and peices which I need help with. If I do decide to OC my RAM, then surely that's gonna get hotter than it is already, which I think is too hot. Also surely my mobo temp will even higher than 50C if I start OC'ing the parts attached to it.

Motherboard temperatures are measured, I think, by thermal sensors in the chipset. So other components should have a negligible effect on mobo temps especially if you have a case with good airflow..

Memory also should not have any effect on temperatures. The FSB frequency, running at 3.6GHz, is 400 MHz. Runnning memory 1:1 requires an 800 MHz memory clock. Based on actual measurements, power consumption of two 1 GB DDR2 memory modules is a bit less than 3 amps @ 3.3 volts (10 watts).

Runering

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
Well is that's the case, I'll just buy a couple new case fans, and hopefully everything should be nice and cold.
Ta mate!

TRENDING THREADS