Sign in with
Your question

CPU Cooler Recommendation

Last response: in CPUs
December 23, 2007 9:50:32 PM

I might be in the wrong section so sorry. I have an Asus P5N-E SLI board in a Cooler Master Stacker 830 case. I also have a Core 2 Duo 6750 oem. I'm looking for a cooler that is silent and easy to install. Nothing expensive around $20-$30 including shipping.

If anyone has the same motherboard then I would love to know what cooler you have. Links would help.

I'm thinking about going with this one, but am not sure it would fit on a p5n-e sli board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks.
December 23, 2007 10:05:26 PM

You can't beat Zalman for high spec cooling at a good price and quiet noise level - look here:

http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/code_list.asp?cate=...

They have a compatibility list of boards on their website and also very precise dimensions listed so you can work it out for yourself if your board isn't listed.

I have used various different models of theirs (mainly on Asus boards) and although the components around the socket are an issue, the main things to watch out for are the northbridge heatsink and the gap between the top of the heatsink and the power supply as on some boards the CPU socket is nearer to the top edge of the board than others.

At the end of the day look at what Tom uses in his reviews and now in his reference test system - Zalman.

If you can't get hold of any Zalman stuff then Thermalright are great - I still have a solid copper SLK heatsink on my old 2500+ (overclocked to 2800+) with a 92mm fan that runs silently.
December 23, 2007 10:24:41 PM

If you want to stick to below $30 you might want to consder the Arctic Freezer. The bencies are really good on it, better than anything in its price class but still not in the neighborhod of the U120eX! :) 
Related resources
December 23, 2007 10:56:50 PM

OlSkoolChopper said:
If you want to stick to below $30 you might want to consder the Arctic Freezer. The bencies are really good on it, better than anything in its price class but still not in the neighborhod of the U120eX! :) 

Agreed, ive actually got one on every C2D i own (all 4 of em) they are great and quiet.
December 23, 2007 11:34:04 PM

I have an Arctic Cooler and it works great. Very quiet as well. It is tall, but it shouldn't have any problem with the P5N-E SLI. Most if not all modern enthusiast boards have ample room for even the largest coolers.
!