Upgrading Graphics on Dimension 2400

Senojelyk

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 right now and I'm looking to put a new graphics card into it so I can play some of my games that dont quite work on it. Right now its only got the factory stuff inside. I know I need a PCI card since my MB doesn't have any PCIe or AGP slots. Heres a Link to the card I'm Looking at. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...=product&tab=2&id=1130987962366#productdetail
Will this be able to run on my PC as is? Or what power supply will make it work(or other configurations)?

Also, if anybody has a dimension that's running a card 128m or more thats decent and didn't need a power supply upgrade , please fill me In. I'd like to spend as little amount of money as possible but still get a decent card out of it.

Lastly, I'm not much of a tech guy, but that little red switch on the power supply, it switches from 115 to 230. What exactly is that, and if I switch it over to 230 will that be enough power to run the card?

cleeve

Illustrious
If that's true PCI it's probably one of the fastest PCI cards out there.

Don't expect much out of it though; it won't perform anywhere near an AGP 6200, because PCI bandwidth is dismal at best.

NEVER TOUCH THE 115 to 230 SWITCH. This is to adapt for different voltages in different countries. If you were in europe, you'd be running 230 volt service. In north america we have 110 volt service... DON'T MESS WITH IT.

I 'upgraded' my father-in-law's Dell 2350 (no AGP or PCIe) with a PCI 256MB Radeon 9250 about two years ago. The original power supply is still running it.

Just for comparison, on 3dMark2003, that system went from a whopping score of 59 (onboard video) to an awesome 1080 3dmarks. [/sarcasm]

I think there's a PCI version of the Radeon x1550 out there. You're really out of luck with only PCI. What games are you trying to play?

maverick7

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2006
DO NOT UPGRADE THAT **** PC... just buy a new one for $500.. thats not that expensive and would absolutely murder... murder! your current system

crusoe74

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2007
:ouch: How expensive is that?

The Geforce 6200 was slow even in 2005.

http://www.amazon.com/PNY-Geforce-FX5200-256MB-Graphics/dp/B000F5IE9Y

This is a little slower but only half price.

It's a shame you have no expansion slots, as you'll have a seriously hard time finding a quick PCI card that is cost effective. If you do want to play modern games you will need to change your complete system although I wouldn't have put it so aggressively as Maverick.

Good luck to you.

Senojelyk

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2007
I'm basically just looking for something to run the games I have now because my old gaming computer got fried by a power surge.. and the surge protector thing went out of warranty about 3 weeks beforehand so they won't replace the PC. Nothing I have requires more than a 64m card which is why I was looking for a 128 probably.

Next summer I'm buying an Alienware, so this is literally just to hold me over for the next 7 months. I'll keep looking for a cost effective 128m card probably..

My main concern is if the factory power supply will work. I opened it up, max output is 200W. I really don't feel like messing with all that stuff just for the next 7 months lol..