Help Building My New Computer

MGL

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Salutations,

First off, I want apologize if this isn't in the right section. I'm currently trying to put together my first computer but I've hit a few snags. I've watched tutorials and read some articles on doing it but something still isn't right. Yesterday I finished installing all the pieces and decided to plug it in and make sure everything functioned. Nothing happened. The fans didn't move, the disc drive didn't work, and I couldn't shut it down. The only thing that seemed to be working was the power button light.

I'm thinking it could be the power supply because I'm sure I didn't install everything wrong, although I very well could have. I really only have a vague idea of what I'm doing and I don't think I can fix it without help. Below is my build and some photo's (which were taken with my camera phone so forgive me if they're a little ****).

1.Rosewill R604-P SL 120mm Fan ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

2.ASUS M2A-VM AM2 AMD 690G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

3.SAPPHIRE 100210L Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express x16 CrossFire Supported Video Card

4.FSP Group FSP400-60THN ATX2.0 400W Power Supply 115/230 V UL, CSA, VDE, NEMKO, TUV, CE, CB, FCC with PCI-E connector

5.AMD Athlon 64 X2 4000+ Brisbane 2.1GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor

6.A-DATA Value Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

7.Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

8.LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write

9.Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2B 1 Pack

computerau5.jpg

computer2jn6.jpg

All the unused cords from my power supply.
computer3ur5.jpg

The cords going into the back of my disc drive. I think the solid red one actually goes to my hard drive but I've got no idea.
computer4ro0.jpg

The back of my hard drive. I've only got the cable from the power supply going into it and I'm not even sure that's the right spot for it. What do I use to connect it to the mobo?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
If you did not use the manual for your mobo during the installation, i.e., you used a how to article, I'd suggest tearing it down and rebuilding following the directions in the mobo manual. Also a good idea to have the manual as a download from the mobo mfg site much better pictures. It should tell you the order of the build and all the connections. Parts and plugs only will fit one way and so you have the power cord connected properly to the drive but you have to connect the data cable to the mobo connector. This is what make me think you didn't use the manual, which is the only source you should use for the actual build.

MGL

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
You're pretty much right. I used it as a reference three or four times but I didn't really read it throughly. I'll try rebuilding it and let you know tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Suggest you follow the manual step by step not just read it. Best to read a section, e.g., installing the CPU/HSF, and then doing it before going to the next component. Again, the online manual is good to have up because the pictures are much easier to see and sometimes there are corrections to what the manual says, usually having to do with connecting wires from the case. While there are some very good how to articles to give you an idea of what is involved, each mobo is different, which is why I think following the mobo manual is the best way to proceed. If you run into any problems or issues be sure to post. If you do, post the website address for your mobo manual, will help in addressing any issues you may have. Good luck

MGL

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
It's not like I opened the packaging, saw the manual, said, "Oh, wont be needing this", and threw it in the garbage. I used it when I was stuck on something in particular. For the rest I had friends and the net, but uh...thanks for the consideration.

I took it apart and put it back together but I still have a few quick questions I couldn't find answers to in the manual;

What is this?
1215071442gc1.jpg

And, does the red cable above in picture three go into the optical drive or the hard drive?

monste4321

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
well that last picture is just a stupid speaker, really i wouldnt bother installed it cause its annoying, but if you would like, its plugs into the designated spot on ur motherbaord stated in the manual, also both the optical drive and hdd have a seperate "red cord" also called a sata cable that plugs from the unit directly to the motherboard, not directly to eachother, and both the optical drive and the hdd both need power from the power supply

tlmck

Distinguished

It is a speaker, but it is not stupid. It is a necessary diagnostic tool in case the machine has trouble POSTing or booting up. It gives you beep codes listed in the manual to tell you what is wrong. Some MB's have these built in, in others you plug a case speaker into it, and yet other MB's have LED displays instead of beeps.

If you ever lose the manual, you can generally Google the motherboard model number followed by the words "beep codes" and get the answer there.

I personally like this particular design. As soon as the machine is up and running properly, you can remove the speaker and store it away for future use to eliminate those annoying beeps.

monste4321

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2007
lol well if u do have posting problems u can plug it in, but little things like that really bother me, but im a little weird, if ur having trouble plug it in and unplug it when u dont

MGL

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Turns out Newegg only shipped me one sata cable and I can't connect my hard drive to my mobo, so I'll just have them ship me a replacement and all should be well =)

Thanks for all the help and I'll be sure to ask if I have any more problems.

MGL

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
So, I went to Best Buy and bought an extremely overpriced Sata cable but that still doesn't solve my problem. I checked and rechecked the manual, making sure everything is in the right place. I tried testing it out by plugging it in and seeing if the front power light came on but it didn't. It has to be something with the power supply because the entire computer itself isn't functioning. I think it could be this piece. I don't have it connected to anything because I'm not too sure where it goes;

1221071756zt0.jpg

2. What does this go to?

1221071756ayl8.jpg

3. And this?

1221071756blg8.jpg

tlmck

Distinguished
The first "white" connector is for a 3 1/2" floppy drive. The Red, Green, Blue is a composite video to S-video adapter. The third looks like an ordinary IDE floppy cable. Unless you have a floppy drive or need of composite/s-video, you can ignore all these.

You can test the PSU by unplugging all the leads, including the large MB ones. You can then use a paper clip if you have one to jump start the PSU. I assume the PSU has a switch on the back. If it does turn it to the O position. Make sure it is unplugged also.

Bend the paper clip into a U shape, and insert one end into the green wire socket of the 24 pin PSU connector. Then bend the paper clip so the other end goes into one of the black wire sockets next to the green one. Make sure the sides of the paper clip are not touching. lay it down and plug the PSU in. Then hit the switch. If the PSU is alive, the fan should spin.

If the PSU passes this test, I would pull the MB out of the case and set it on the bag it came in. You can leave the drives, etc. installed in the case. Plug one stick of ram, and the video card into the MB along with the 24 pin and 4 pin power connectors. See if it fires up that way. If it does then you may have a shorting problem with the case. Check for extra standoffs. You only should have one per MB hole. Any extras will short out the traces on the back of the board.

MGL

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Extra standoffs? Forgive me, I'm completely new to this.
I'm a little skeptical about shoving a paper clip in my PSU but I'll give it a try, thanks.

tlmck

Distinguished
The standoffs are the little hex sided brass looking screws with female threads in the top. Sort of like a screw on one end and a nut on the other. You screw these into the case, your motherboard mounts on top of these, then you put screws into them from the top of the MB. It appears from pictures that your MB has 6 screw holes. Therefore you should only have 6 corresponding standoff in the case.

MGL

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
What would they have come with? My motherboard? I honestly don't remember seeing anything resembling them nor was I even aware that you needed something like that. Even so, the power supply fan should spin regardless which its not.

Mugen

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2005
Maybe you forgot to put them in. Is your motherboard just screwed directly to your case? Cause if it is its probably your problem.

tlmck

Distinguished
Here is the picture of the little baggie that should have come with your computer case. http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-147-059-13.jpg The little brass colored things are standoffs. If you installed the MB directly in the bottom of the case without these, it is highly likely you shorted out the MB somewhere, and also likely you blew the fuse inside the power supply.

Here is also a view of your cases' motherboard tray. http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/productimage/11-147-059-10.jpg The standoffs go into those little screw holes on the tray, and then the MB rests on top. You use the included screws to fasten the MB to the standoffs.

About the only remedy at this point is to RMA. You might try just the PSU first. If the PSU fuse blew first, it might have spared your other components. The only way to know for sure is to get a working power supply first.

I have to logoff for a few hours now, but shall return.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
OMG. Give up before you kill yourself. Take it to a shop and let a pro do it. If you cant follow the manual you wont bea ble to follow the forums. Find an old piece of crap pc and tear it apart. Read your manual 5 times, if you still dont get it give up. I dont have the knowledge to do brain surgery so I dont try.

This aint Leggos you know. You cant just shove everything together and expect it to work.

MGL

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
I'm sorry roadrunner 197069, I thought that this forum was supposed to help people solve their problems? Don't post if you're going to be a dickhead. I've never put a computer together before so cut me some **** slack. It was a bad part, get over yourself.