help me choose a RAID and controller please.

kevinnem

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
Hello all, I am doing some reseach in to a new computer built I am comtemplating.

Its use is for a media presentations. It will run software that will allow me to mix a number of video streams (both live cameras, and material off disks, as well as output from other computers).

I then add effects to the video, mix it and out put it to 1 or more projectors.

I would like to be able to do at least 7 high definition audio streams at the same time.

Not withstanding video card issues (that is a whole new topic), I was wondering what raid I should use? I would like a situation that can read/write data really fast, and can load up random images, and video really fast, however, if I also would like a system that will not crash if a drive fails mid show.

those 1TB drives are getting cheaper by the day.

I look forward to your responces.

kevinnem

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
what RAID level shoudl I us? 0, 1, 0+1, 1+0, 5, 6?

I am thinking I would use 3 or 4 drives. and a cheaper (ie less then 300) Raid card. the 1 TB samson f1's are getting real cheap.

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
The question is why do you want RAID? If you can answer that question then you will most likely know what RAID level you need.

All RAID levels have advantages and disadvantages, there is no perfect RIAD level.

kevinnem

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2003
I want a raid for 2 reasons.
1) lots of data transfer bandwidth , and speed - I will be mixing video LIVE, not in a studio, so I need to be able to "Call up" any of 200 video clips (between 3 secs and a few miniuts long). and play them at will. There can be up to 7 layers of high resolution video (high def) playing at the same time. As well as live video feeds comign in(though this doesn't effect the RAID discussion).

2) this is going to be a portable system, constantly going in and out of trucks. IF a hard drive should fail , I need the show to keep going, so I can deal with it later.

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
For you situation I would use RAID 5 and at least 4 drives and do not boot from them, keep the OS on a different drive or even different array. RAID 5 will slow down access time but will speed up throughput and the more drives you have the faster it will be.

A possible configuration might be 2 drives with fast access time (WD raptors) in a RAID 1 array for OS and apps, and then a 4-6 drive RAID 5 array. This would be possible on an 8 port controller.

If the budget is not that big then 2 drives on the motherboard in RAID 1 and 4 drives on a 4 port controller in a RAID 5 array.

will_chellam

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
+1 for separating the OS and data - i'd consider Solid state disks for the OS - raided or not....

I'd have the media archive on a separate dedicated RAID 5 array - as many disks as you can afford (up to 8) and a decent controller - 300 sounds a bit cheap for what sounds like a pretty imntensive - almost professional setup...