Just Mounted VF900cu Zalman to BFG 8800GT WOW!

Well upon downloading the updated BIOS from BFG for my 8800GT I flashed the card and expected big things. LOL! My temps were still 55C at idle and 78C at full load, I still was not satisfied. So there I was standing in Compusa looking at the Zalman VF900cu sitting all by its lonesome with a 20% discount slapped on it he, he, (Good bye Compusa) I snatched it up ran home. Once I got home I immediatley pulled up all the sites that I have seen this cooler installed on just to reassure myself that it could be done. So, reluctantly I began to remove the heatsink off my 8800GT thinking if I screw this up there goes $263 dollars down the drain. I carefully read all the posts on what to do and what not to do, also ensuring I covered up the additional hot spots on the card with heat sinks. Well, once I installed the VF900cu I inserted the card into the PCI express slot and closed my eyes and powered up. All went well, I immdiately pulled up the ntune monitor and to my suprise the BFG 8800 GT was idling at 46C so I let it ilde another 20 min and can you believe it actually dropped to 45C. Then I ran 3Dmark06 and it never went passed 57C according to the event log. Well, far be it from me to let the Zalman get off that easily, so I loaded up CRYSIS, played for 40 minutes and my event log noted highest point was 61C I about fainted. Godbless Zalman.
12 answers Last reply
More about just mounted vf900cu zalman 8800gt
  1. What about the mosfets? how did you cool those? can you upload some photos please?
  2. I can verify it works, been running a VF900 on my GT for about a month.
    Here you go:

3. As long as they're secured to the chips you should be ok.
    This is what I actually have hard-mounted on my card:

4. Sweet brother, did you make that? Where did you get that sink. That is nice.
  5. Got it Thanks
  6. Nice results. I have one of those coolers just sitting here unopened. I take it if I install it on one BFG 8800GT I'll soon want to buy another cooler for the other BFG.

BTW, I bought a couple Zalman coolers back when Compusa pulled out of NJ. Got them for 40% off. Their loss our gain huh.
  7. KTV_Striker Sweet Rig i love how nice and clean it looks!
  8. Anyone here concerned about voiding their BFG warranty? I tend to hold onto my cards for a long time (move them to another rig), so my only issue with swapping these is throwing out the warranty on a card that's a few weeks old.
  9. I dont get it. I have the Asus 8800gt 512 OCed a tad. I have never seen over 51c under load with SmartDoctor running my fan. I get alot of people asking me to install 3rd party card coolers because of reviews they read. I have installed over 20 GTs from Asus and never had a problem. Funny part is its the same cooler everyone else was using as a single slot.
  10. jerseygamer said:
    I dont get it. I have the Asus 8800gt 512 OCed a tad. I have never seen over 51c under load with SmartDoctor running my fan. I get alot of people asking me to install 3rd party card coolers because of reviews they read. I have installed over 20 GTs from Asus and never had a problem. Funny part is its the same cooler everyone else was using as a single slot.

1.Depends on each individual situation, no 2 are alike
    variables
    -case
    -case cooling layout
    -room temp
    -how many db you are willing to tolerate
    -what temps you can live with

I chose an aftermarket cooler (my choice, my situation, my $)
    stock cooler
    idle 53c
    load 80-85c +
    noisey as heck

aftermarket cooler
    idle 40c
    load 57c
    as quiet as the stock cooler @ 29%

just curious about your recommendation for cases that have only a single-slot and the same variables as above?
    Happy Holidays
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Zalman World Of Warcraft Graphics