Sign in with
Your question

Just Mounted VF900cu Zalman to BFG 8800GT WOW!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2007 4:27:46 AM

Well upon downloading the updated BIOS from BFG for my 8800GT I flashed the card and expected big things. LOL! My temps were still 55C at idle and 78C at full load, I still was not satisfied. So there I was standing in Compusa looking at the Zalman VF900cu sitting all by its lonesome with a 20% discount slapped on it he, he, (Good bye Compusa) I snatched it up ran home. Once I got home I immediatley pulled up all the sites that I have seen this cooler installed on just to reassure myself that it could be done. So, reluctantly I began to remove the heatsink off my 8800GT thinking if I screw this up there goes $263 dollars down the drain. I carefully read all the posts on what to do and what not to do, also ensuring I covered up the additional hot spots on the card with heat sinks. Well, once I installed the VF900cu I inserted the card into the PCI express slot and closed my eyes and powered up. All went well, I immdiately pulled up the ntune monitor and to my suprise the BFG 8800 GT was idling at 46C so I let it ilde another 20 min and can you believe it actually dropped to 45C. Then I ran 3Dmark06 and it never went passed 57C according to the event log. Well, far be it from me to let the Zalman get off that easily, so I loaded up CRYSIS, played for 40 minutes and my event log noted highest point was 61C I about fainted. Godbless Zalman.
December 22, 2007 12:18:04 PM

What about the mosfets? how did you cool those? can you upload some photos please?
December 22, 2007 6:27:37 PM

I can verify it works, been running a VF900 on my GT for about a month.
Here you go:

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 22, 2007 7:49:30 PM

As long as they're secured to the chips you should be ok.
This is what I actually have hard-mounted on my card:

December 22, 2007 7:54:12 PM

Sweet brother, did you make that? Where did you get that sink. That is nice.
December 23, 2007 8:44:55 PM

Got it Thanks
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2007 8:51:22 PM

Nice results. I have one of those coolers just sitting here unopened. I take it if I install it on one BFG 8800GT I'll soon want to buy another cooler for the other BFG.

BTW, I bought a couple Zalman coolers back when Compusa pulled out of NJ. Got them for 40% off. Their loss our gain huh.
December 23, 2007 9:50:08 PM

KTV_Striker Sweet Rig i love how nice and clean it looks!
a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2007 4:15:13 PM

Anyone here concerned about voiding their BFG warranty? I tend to hold onto my cards for a long time (move them to another rig), so my only issue with swapping these is throwing out the warranty on a card that's a few weeks old.
December 24, 2007 4:26:34 PM

I dont get it. I have the Asus 8800gt 512 OCed a tad. I have never seen over 51c under load with SmartDoctor running my fan. I get alot of people asking me to install 3rd party card coolers because of reviews they read. I have installed over 20 GTs from Asus and never had a problem. Funny part is its the same cooler everyone else was using as a single slot.
December 24, 2007 5:04:51 PM

jerseygamer said:
I dont get it. I have the Asus 8800gt 512 OCed a tad. I have never seen over 51c under load with SmartDoctor running my fan. I get alot of people asking me to install 3rd party card coolers because of reviews they read. I have installed over 20 GTs from Asus and never had a problem. Funny part is its the same cooler everyone else was using as a single slot.

1.Depends on each individual situation, no 2 are alike
variables
-case
-case cooling layout
-room temp
-how many db you are willing to tolerate
-what temps you can live with

I chose an aftermarket cooler (my choice, my situation, my $)
stock cooler
idle 53c
load 80-85c +
noisey as heck

aftermarket cooler
idle 40c
load 57c
as quiet as the stock cooler @ 29%

just curious about your recommendation for cases that have only a single-slot and the same variables as above?
Happy Holidays
!