Worthwhile upgrading?

parasyte79

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
Hello all, I'm new to the forums, but a long fan of Tom's Hardware (makes my work day go by all that much faster). Now I know that upgrading questions are a plenty on these forums, but the posts that I've searched through haven't addressed my question. FYI, my current spec is as follows...Athlon64, 3200+ (socket 939), 4GB DDR (2GB is OCZ Performance and the other 2 are OCZ XTC Platinum which show funky mem timings in CPU-Z, but I'm not too concerned with that), nVidia 7600GT 256MB (no OC) and a Thermaltake TR-2 power supply rated for 430W...

Whew, now my question. With Intel and AMD both releasing a new socket types later on in 2008 (socket 1366 for Intel and AM3 for AMD), is it worthwhile to upgrade to the current socket 775/AM2 or am I better off keeping my $$$ for the new platforms when they're available?

Keep in mind that for my upgrade, I was planning on upgrading EVERYTHING, expect for my monitor and speakers.

I was initially going to upgrade to an E6550, with a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, 2GB of Mushkin DDR2-800, a Gigabyte 8800GT (still on the fence between 512 or 256MB...I hate how money determines choices), and get a new Antec Sonata 3 (with 500W) or scrap the case and just get Thermaltake PurePower RX 600W

I use my computer mainly for Internet browsing and playing MMOs.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Don't ask me about AMD or I'll just start foamin at the mouth again... :)

however, I'm 6 hours and 5 mintues from starting to buy components for my next build and its a P35 based one, although I know that everything with the posible excpetion of the PSU is gonna be junked in 12 months when Nehalem comes out as nothing is compatible with it.

In the tech field you can spend the rest of your life waiting for the next thing to debut. :(

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Wait!

It sounds like your system should handle MMOs w/o any problem.
Hence, don't upgrade now.

The most you should do is upgrade the Video Card, but I don't think that is necessary or recommended at this point in time.

parasyte79

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2007
Thanks OlSkool and Zen for the replies.

I was afraid to hear that even an upgrade done now to fairly decent components like a C2Duo (Q6600 is stretching the budget a bit, and besides, where are the quad optimized apps to take advantage?) would be junked in the next year due to the platform changes...

In the tech field you can spend the rest of your life waiting for the next thing to debut. :(

Ain't that the truth...

I did too consider just upgrading the video card, but again, there's whispers that nVidia is going to replace their line-up in late 2008 to something new and fresh. But that raises another question, and I'm pretty sure about the answer, but I'm guessing that a 512MB 8800GT would last for quite some time? This assumes that my current PS can feed it enough juice :)

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I'm 5 hours and 30 minutes away from seeing what the price is on ncix's Boxing Day Sale 8800GT and if it's anywhere south of $230 it's mine. (make sure you got a very juicy PSU) I'm 99% sure going for E8400 unless the Yorkie delay rumors are just more FUD. If it's out on Jan. 20, then it's Q9550 on the same day of release. But that's because I have to use my P-D 915 Lenovo for a boat anchor and I cant wait to end of 08 to upgrade to Nehalem which "should" be good for a couple of years minmum. It's for business use and I need more CPU balls and more RAM headroom and I need it now!!!