GA-P35C-DS3R

GaryRad

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
This is a strange one. New system using a D3SR mobo, everything worked great, fully updated Vista 32 and all drivers. After a few days the system stopped seeing the 2 DVD drives (Samsung reader and Plextor Burner) installed on the IDE bus. Tried uninstalling them and having Vista reinstall drivers but it fails each time, though both drives are listed. Figured I would try a Vista OS "repair" and went into BIOS to set the CD for 1st boot. The drives are listed there as well. Upon reboot it gets to the "Boot from CD" screen, hangs there for a few seconds, and continues on to boot Vista from the HD.

Other than uninstall/reinstall within Vista I have tried different cables, using only one drive, and as I was going to build a 2nd system with the DS3R I even swapped out the mobo.. Still the same problem! I've ordered a cheap SATA DVD to see if it's the IDE channels that are somehow bad but something is telling me it could be the DVDs cooked somehow..

ANY help would be appreciated.
:(

You can try reinstalling the Chipset drivers from the MB CD. Also, it's possible some software you have installed may be conflicting with the IDE drivers, I have that very thing happen to me once. I uninstalled the software culprit and my IDE drives worked perfectly. Do the IDE drives show up in Device manager? Also, you could try a system restore back to the point the system ran properly. HTH.

gerzky0510

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I have the same problem a month ago and I spend lots of time online searching for a solution and this one works for me. Go to www.JMicron.com and download the JMB36X IDE contoller driver. Most of the P35 mobos don't support PATA Drives (mostly supports SATA) on IDE and floppy anymore but Gigabyte do and the company that provided them with IDE and Floppy is JMicron. If this works for you please let us know so that some Gigabyte mobo owners can use this solution as my mobo is different model it's the GA-P35-DS3R.

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
i have that mb, it's particular about having the ide bus configured properly. make sure that it's set to IDE and that you have everything configured properly. i'm on a different computer now, but i'll take another look at the bios when i get home and try to be more specific.

gerzky0510

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I have the IDE properly configured and I got two PATA drives one is DVD and the other one is DVD R/RW and alll of my drives shows on the Device Manager and I tried the deleting lower and upper case filters on the registry solution and nothing works until I downloaded the JMicron IDE controllers. As I have said on my first post both my drives are PATA and most P35 mobos support SATA drives.

GaryRad

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
I appreciate all the input.

Badge - to install the Chipset drivers from the CD I would need to be able to use the CD drives.
Jeremyrailton - BIOS is configured properly for IDE
Evilonigiri - I tried both BIOS defaults and Fail Safe, neither made a difference.
Gerzky0510 - I will try the JMicron drivers tonight, thanks.

Keep in mind that the system won't boot from the Vista CD either, which has nothing to do with the Vista OS or it's drivers AFAIK. The DVD's are seen and identified properly in BIOS and in Vista.

Thanks again!

malam

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I have the exact motherboard and also have two DVD/RW drives on the IDE controller. Both working ok from day one! If you have an old IDE Hard drive, I suggest you install it to see if you can access the drive. This will eliminate the controller and the setup in the bios.

GaryRad

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
malam - these worked perfectly from day 1 also, for about a week, then became inaccessible. New SATA DVD will be here tomorrow, to hell with the IDE.

malam

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
You are correct ! my IDE Optical drives stopped working yesterday. I had to update the Gigabyte GBB36X Controller. New driver was downloaded from the Gigabyte website.