3850 and composite connection

kogneto

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
hey guys, I know this is my first post on these forums but I've been searching the internets for awhile now and turned up no info, so I decided to post a question to the most trusted authorities on the subject

I recently built a new system with the following specs:
proc - e6750 2.6ghz
mobo - MSI P35 Neo2
ram - 2x 1024 dual channel
video - ATI Radeon 3850HD

now I've been trying to connect an old tv to the composite connector from the card to the front of the tv, but for some reason the display settings will only allow for the tv or my main monitor to display anything at one time, but i'm trying to set it up so I can use the TV like a dual screen (if you hadn't figured that already).

am I just a complete noob or is that not how you would connect devices

The only thing I can think that might affect this is the fact that the tv is so old it has a vcr built into it, and the rca jack connects from the vcr first then to the tv (this is annoying if you try to watch dvd's as most players dim the picture at intervals to prevent successful dvd-vcr copying). The only thing is I can see the computer display on the tv, but only after I set it as the primary display.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
Having an ATI card you'll have installed Catalyst Control Center. Tiz very simple you use but i'll go through a few things if you haven't tried them already.

When you startup CCC go to the 'Advanced' view. Then there is a option called 'Displays Manager'. Plug your TV in then click 'Detect Display'. This should then change the little image above the 'Detect Displays' to a '1' being your monitor and a '2' being your TV. You may have to set the resolution of the TV runs manually. It should just make your TV as an addon to either the left or right of your monitor, just move the mouse to the edge of screen '1' and it should jump to screen '2'.

Hope this helps or guides you in the right direction ;).

kogneto

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
yes I have tried this, and even went so far as to switch the display option feature to force TV detection, yet still it does not allow me to display both the television and moniter. Only 1 or the other. The option for the second display remains gray'ed and when I right click the TV icon it doesn't even bring up an options menu.

has anyone else had this problem? i feel like i'm the first to experience this and its upsetting in that several of my friends have inferior cards but are able to display on TV and moniter

:(

Zeka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
What is the resolution for the TV? Refresh rate?

TV has a refresh rate of 50-60 mhz (i think), if you try anything above, it won't work. Also, for resolution, set it on 800x600 before detecting tv.

Did you select the right input type on the TV? You know, like "AV input" or "S-Video"