8800 ultra SLI aftermarket coolers

slisgrinder

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
I need some help on finding after market coolers which will work in SLI for my two 8800 ultras. I am beginning to see temps ranging from 55 C to about 80 C which I am not comfortable with because that was only after an hour of D3D9 gaming. I will be going to a LAN party which will last four days straight and I need something that is cheap but works as well. Any ideas?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
If those are still the air coolers, believe it or not, thats pretty normal for those cards. They are some beasts! A GPU processor can see a bit more heat than a normal processor, so unless you go for something other than air, you are waisting the money, really.

Have you simply removed the current coolers and re seat them yourself? Give em a lube and filter! Change the thermal paste and thermal tape, make sure its all on properly and aligned right, and re seal them.

If that doesnt help a bit, then think on wasting more money. Thermal Goo and strips are pretty cheap. When I got my Ultras, they were from a Voodoo "Omen" pre built computer, and had danger den water blocks on it. They hit 88c!

All I did was take em off, re do everything and put them back on, and not I get a max of 75c. (which is somewhat hot for liquid. I thought I would be kewl and use minimal tubing, so it has like 10'' of tubing total, for the whole loop. That made my temps go up 5c, it appears that with the added tubing, the liquid had more time to cool throughout the tubing.)

Live and learn! Cheap ass set up I got long ago!

--Lupi