Windows XP won't load from grub screen

G

Hello, I can't get windows XP to load. This is a 2003 Toshiba satellite laptop, model A15-S157, bought back in 2003. My ex installed Ubuntu on this computer so the only way I could get windows XP to load was I think in the grub screen. I never had any problems until now. A year and a half ago, the power cord got damaged so the laptop has been off ever since. I recently got a universal power cord and it actually turns on the computer, but now when I try loading windows XP, I get this msg "We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this" I have the options to select: safe mode; safe mode with networking; safe mode with command prompt; last known good configuration; and start windows normally. None of the options will load windows though. I still have the reformatting CD that came with the purchase of this computer, but it won't run when I stick it in the drive. Is there any advice you have? I'm sure this is all related to the computer being off for so long, but it has power and ubuntu loads, although I don't know how to use it. What can I do?

Hello, I can't get windows XP to load. This is a 2003 Toshiba satellite laptop, model A15-S157, bought back in 2003. My ex installed Ubuntu on this computer so the only way I could get windows XP to load was I think in the grub screen. I never had any problems until now. A year and a half ago, the power cord got damaged so the laptop has been off ever since. I recently got a universal power cord and it actually turns on the computer, but now when I try loading windows XP, I get this msg "We apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this" I have the options to select: safe mode; safe mode with networking; safe mode with command prompt; last known good configuration; and start windows normally. None of the options will load windows though. I still have the reformatting CD that came with the purchase of this computer, but it won't run when I stick it in the drive. Is there any advice you have? I'm sure this is all related to the computer being off for so long, but it has power and ubuntu loads, although I don't know how to use it. What can I do?

It's worth tapping the Function 8 key before Grub or Windows shows up and seeing if you get "Disable automatic restart on system failure" showing the in the extended Safe Mdoe menu. If you see it, highlight it and you should then see a blue screen with a Stop Error message which tells you what's actually going wrong. Post back the numeric detail - 0x0000?? - and also any WORD_IN_CAPS_JOINED_UP with underscores.[/#000ff]