Anyone had espically good success with OC'ing EVGA 8800 GT 512 SC's?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I spam all over the place, but for some reason I get away with it!

Anyways, I just picked up a pair of these scrawny things.

EVGA 8800 GT 512 Super Clocked edition.

Have you had a successful overclock thats decent in speed and power? (Decent = High Speed!)

Toss some info my way and I'll crank these things up.

When I get a Mother Board that supports sli!

Second thing!

Anyone have an NVidia chipset with low VDrop/droop combinations? Prolly not, but thought I would ask. Mobo recommendations with powerful over clocking options also accepted! :) I know the Vdrop mod anyways.

Thanks!

--Lupi

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Oh yeah baby! Let's talk!

First off I hope you got these puppies for cheap! You'll see why in my blab!

I got my first superclocked edition from EVGA on October 29th of 2007... Oh yeah... I was like a kid in a candy store waiting for those puppies to hit newegg.com's online shopping shelves. As soon as I saw it was available I snagged one up like hot cakes.

To my dismay it was a very hot card... I mean not compared to my old 6600GT but compared to an 8800GTX it produces a lot of heat. Fast foward a few months and in Feb I rebuilt from the ground up and got a 780i also by EVGA and another superclocked. I had to get some coolers to go along with em so I got the Zalman VF1000's. These didn't make too much of a diff IMHO.

Reasons being: Before coolers arrived... 725/1040 max overclock! After coolers arrived... 725/1040! So all in all... I dont think the coolers made much a diff.

I'm not too impressed with overclocking ability. But they sure are nice.... play Crysis on 1680x1050 AA off and Very high everything at about 20 min, average 30 and max 45 FPS. That obviously changes a lot depending upon lighting. For example the scene where he is in the cave produces like 5FPS.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Oh yeah. 780i is great! Happy to spend my hard earned money on it. I would do it again. I dont care for the vdroop mod so I am stuck with droop! Oh well! It's not that much. It's sitting at 1.368v idle and 1.344 load. That's not anything to concern me anyway.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I snagged a brand new pair for 250 total. ;) Thats like one GTS 640 still. So thats not bad. And a pair should be okay. I hope!

And yeah, I know about crysis. My Ultras let me down when playing that game as well. And then I have a 2560 x 1600 monitor? Hell, to get decent performance I have to use 1440 x 900 with 1 ultra, And a pair of them to do the rez you run them in on that thing!

So they are about the same. but the price sold me.

That fan is skimpy on the cards, no doubt about it! I didn't realize they made them that thin! All my other 8800s are huge!

You are also using a 45 NM chip, arent you? That should account for some of your lower VDrop and droop, because the voltage threshold was lowered due to the transistors only being a fraction apart. I had a xfx 780i and returned it because I didnt wanna do the mod, but now that I have a pair of ultras and a pair of 8800 GTs, I need at least one SLI machine.

--Lupi

--Lupi

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
OOooh! I love these bad boys! OCZ reaper PC6400 2X2GB kit found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227267
I was able to squeeze them into 1T command rate. They are super snappy!
I'm actually pretty happy with Crysis' performance on me rig. Yeah it doesnt get 60 FPS but heck! That game is eye candy every time I play it. It's like a chocolate bar on "willie wonka and chocolate factory" I dont play it but once a month, havent beaten it yet, so therefore I have a whole year until a new eye candy game comes out to enjoy it. :D

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I have 4 x 2 GB of the supposed 1 step up junk. Its the Reaper x 4-4-3-15 stuff. Whats the actual Mhz rating you run them at, and the voltage?

They are the same thing, I believe, they just make mine 4-4-3-15 and added that weird over plume of a heat sink!

And yeah, Crysis is awesome, I have beaten it, wait till you get on the carrier and the giant thingie wants to whoop your a$$! I could always send you a save game there. Its Fing awesome. And if you get real close to him, he'll grab you with a tentacle and toss you across the top of the carrier!

--Lupi

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

I'm nervous... I feel like I'm in the game when I play it!

I have mine set to 800mhz unlinked to FSB and 4-4-4-15-1T timings. I'm using 2.2v in bios also.

What are your settings? Stock?

If you are having bad luck I would just use 2 sticks. I have yet to really here of any awesome experiences with 8GB memory or four sticks period.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
4 sticks wont fit on any of my boards! As a matter of fact, i think I damaged my P5k-e wifi, when I took 2 hours to get 4 in its DIMMs. I get weird RAM errors when I use a high FSB. (Low FSB isnt really using the RAM, after all.) So I think I may have damaged where a ground or anything should attack from the DIMM slot to the board. I may have wiggled one free or something. I even get the Beepbeepbeep sometimes like there simply isnt any RAM in it.

BUT, you are right. 4-3-3-10 1T @ 350 FSB = 700 Mhz. Thanks! I didnt even play with the RAM, hehe, I guess the good RAM is somewhat simple to get to reach 1t. And yeah, I was just leaving it at whatever 2T timings.

Yours is unlinked? If there is any way for your FSB to match your RAM speed, you know that improves things greatly! I did the super pi 32 mil test at 266 with divider for 800Mhz, then upped the FSB ONLY to 400 and synced it. Lost 30 seconds super pi 32 mill time just for matching the FSB with it. ;) And your RAM latency goes way down! Its 78 NS for me with 266 FSB, its 64 with 400 FSB, havent seen what it is with 1 T timings!

Did you want the save game? Its awesome, and you will love it! Just wander around the whole carrier with the giant guy. He's fun! I LOVE playing with it. Just dont kill him! A bigger guy will come and kick your cyborg ass all over the deck!

--Lupi

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Is super pi a good memory benchmark? I want to play around with my memory a bit to see what is better. For example if better timings with lower frequencies will be faster than loose timings and high frequencies.

I have my FSB at 450mhz right now and if I linked and synced it would make my divider 1:1 and 900mhz on the memory. It's only rated 800mhz. I suppose I should try it if I had some benchmarks but I am sure I would loose the 1T command rate.

Also I have tried 4-3-3-12-2T and it works great. However as soon as I do 1T with those timings it wont boot. I can do 4-4-4-15-1T no prob. I think that 1T has greater benefits than a 900mhz overclock and lower 4-3-3-12 timings. What do you think? That's why I need a good benchmark.

I'll pass on the save game... I just got to the point where I get a tank. I am enjoying it a lot right now. Think I'll just get through it slowly and enjoy the environment (I spent a lot of time sniping and just looking around) and let my mouth water for Far Cry 3 to come out... suppose to be the next best graphic intense game. You know... I truly love when a company comes out with a game that stresses the crap out of my rig. That way I can really see what it's made of.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I just tested the hell out of the things! The best Sync I could get at 1 tick and still maintain 4-4-3-15 was 365 FSB. 730 Mhz. I can boot at 385 but I had to hit 2.15 volts @ 365. 370 showed slow errors. 365 and I passed prime 95 blend while running super pis 32 million test at the same time.

If those two dont make a core fail in a calculation, nothing will!

And as far as Crysis goes. I Love it! I want more games based of its design or newer. The games are finally starting to look somewhat possibly realistic.
Just think what a game will look like in 5 years! Its about F'ing time!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I'll prolly crank my x 10 q6600 up to that FSB and run it at a 24/7 speed of 3650. Will be about 1.39 volts loaded for that. And while in sync, the benchies should be nice and high. I have a pair of Ultras and a pair of 8800 GT 512s, one pair will go in the next rig I build, looking like a 780i with volt mods and junk. Should be a decent system!

--Lupi

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
If you are risky... Volt mod the 8800GT after you get different cooling solution. With my coolers I should really think about doing a volt mod. However I really dont want to go out and buy a solder just to do it. I hate soldering!

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
These stupid things keep crashing Crysis at 700/1000. Going to try a more modest overclock! Pissed!

I wish I would have bought the SSC one's. They are clocked at 700 I believe. The AKIMBO edition ones came at 720. Well... what I really wish is that I knew the GTS would be so much better. I would have waited a month for them.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I don't have a board yet! I am still looking into that! Waahhhh! I wanna use SLI! I dont want VDrop/droop and I want more power, and To OC my way to somewhere or other!

WHats the highest clock you use on them now? And did you get the newer driver that came out like 10 days ago or whatever? I used to get NVidia driver crashes randomly OCd and not OCd, but It hasnt failed one time after the new driver was installed.

--Lupi

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I'm running stock right now. I also tried 675/975. No luck. Works great at stock though. Oh well. Yes... I do have latest driver dated in May. It might just be Vista 64bit. ATI tool doesnt come up with any errors at 700/1000... and 3dmark06 passes at 720/1040.
Oh well!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I bet its that damn driver. It used to bomb out my normal halo at normal settings on an ultra for whatever reason.

Drove me nuts! I hope I can get some results when I get a board!

--Lupi

espslyxerx2

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
what kind of 3DMark06 scores you guys getting with the GT's in SLI? Hopefully past 15K!??!

Mines around 15.5K with E3110 @ 4.2 GHz & 8800GTS @ 790/1964/1052

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I dunno what mine will be yet, but I am hoping that since EVGA picked through their cards and found it suitable for over clocking to begin with, that it will be somewhat decent. But it could go the other way and not OC worth a darn!

GTS!

Waaahhhhh!!

--Lupi

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
Best I've ever done. Think it was clocked at 715/995. I know I can do better just not wanting to do 1.6v again.

my.php
[/URL]
[/img]

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
::chuckles.:: yeah, who the hell knows. I guess its just their high OC version of this card.

You do realize that NVidia is way smart for only selling blanks to other companies! They pick through the million blanks they bought, find good cards and OC them, then sell the ones as normals that dont OC well. Isnt that nice of them to take the excitement out of over clocking?

--Lupi

espslyxerx2

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
nice score, very jealous of the SLI. I cannot bring myself to throw down another $250 for another GTS, well, wait a minute, im to lame for SLI, my board wont even do SLI, damn intel X38. O well, maybe next time.

It took 1.6V for that 8400 to get stable at 4.5? hahahha. I knew it would be high but not that high.