Running nVidia & ATI together?

yamper

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2007
I've recently upgraded my mobo to a Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 and bought a shiny new 8800GT to go with it. This leaves my old ATI X1950PRO homeless.

I would like to know if it's possible to run the 8800GT and the 1950Pro at the same time? Not in SLI or Xfire, just two cards running two monitors.

What I'm thinking is, if it's possible, to have the 1950Pro run my old 22" CRT and display in game menus, inventories, maps, etc, and have the 8800GT run the main game window on a new 24" Widescreen LCD.

Is this possible? Would there be a huge driver conflict between the two cards? Would differing resolutions cause a rip in the time/space continuum?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nik_I

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2007
i think it is possible, but you can't use the 2 cards for some sort of SLI/Xfire setup. only separately. but to run 2 separate monitors it should be ok. after all, some people get a second PCI card for a second monitor, so i don't see why it wouldn't work here.

mrmjs

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
i use two cards so i can run three monitors.. but both are nvidia cards. Best thing i bought was a monitor arm/stand

E302-1058-call2-ca.gif

once you have two or more monitors you'll never want to go back to just one.

The reason I have 3 monitos is for flash, dreamweaver, photoshop ect.. its nice having the extra space for paletts and other windows