3 sec shut down cycle problem FOUND..BUT need help fixing

jojo_61

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Ok for all you people with gigabyte mobo who have the problem of booting up for 3 seconds then shutting down and repeating itself. The problem is from the CPU LATCH/ CPU SOCKET.

This is were i need help:

WHen i close the latch and lock the cpu it runs for 3 sec or so and shuts down but when i leave it UNLOCK then it works. How do i fix the latch door so I can lock it and make it work.

Just closing it without locking it the latch/door has a slight angle going upwards. so its flat on the bottom and going upwards toward the yellow arrow on the cpu. Is it suppose to be like that or is it suppose to be flat and flush to the cpu when you close the latch but without locking it yet.

Thanks in advance to all that helps!!

mrmez

Splendid
Not quite sure if i understand this but...
If ur hsf is properly and tightly installed, the cpu bracket/latch isnt 100% nessesary.

U ARE running a HSF arent u?

As i said, undoing the latch SHOULD NOT cause the cpu to move or become lose if the hsf is correctly installed.

jojo_61

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I tried it w/o the hsf for a few seconds with the latch open and its turns on!!!! but when i close the latch it does the 3 sec shut down cycle. (w/o hsf only for a few second...risky, yes but now i know what the cause of the problem not my mobo,fan,or processor

so by undoing the latch it works and for some reason closing the latch cause the 3 sec shut down cycle. Is it too tight?? so when i put the hsf on it won't work regardless becuz of the "closed latch"

any other suggestion????

jojo_61

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
Can some one please help me!! How am i suppose to fix the latch so i can close it and make my computer to work

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
If you keep running CPU without HS it may cook! It's SUPPOSED to turn off after 3 sec. If the latch is open, the CPU is making poor contact with the socket and may not draw the full current from the supply, and so does not get hot. What happens if you close the latch and mount the HS?

Mike.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
on some *shoddy* motherboards putting the retention bracket on and closing the latch can slightly move the cpu causing bad contact, also, iwouldn't advise running it without a heatsink, sure, they have the right thermal shutdown paramaters and stuff, but it just isn't right...

what you can do(what i DID doto get my waterblock to mount) is open the latch ad flip the retention bracket open then tilt the bracket open to one sideand the little hinge will pop out, repeat with the other side, close the latck wihtut the retention bracket and mount your hsf, if you have a good HSF it should be adequate to hold the cpu in place.

or you could just RMA the motherboard citing the problem you are experiencing

jojo_61

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007