thioxane

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
Hello everyone, I haven't posted in a while but now I'm in need of some help! Here's the story, a few months ago, I built my awesome computer so I could finally game like I've always wanted too =). Here are the specs:

CPU - Core 2 Duo E6420 - Overclocked @ 2.9Ghz Bus 415 Multiplier 7x
Cooler - Zalman Al/Cu Cooler on it
Motherboard - Gigabyte 965P-DS3
Graphics Card - BFG Tech 8800GTS 320MB
RAM - 2 x 1 gig Corsair PC2 - 6400 (400mhz) Current Timing : 1-5-6-6-20
Harddrive - 500 gig SATA 2

The problem is that my system has become unnaturally slow when I'm running multiple applications, and it really shouldn't be considering how much RAM and CPU power it has. Is there any problem with the configuration I have and is there anything I can do to fix it?

P.S - I'm going to reformat soon and re-overlock once my last exam finishes tomorrow. Are there any important adjustments I should make to BIOS for my next system?

akhilles

Splendid
Was it a fresh windows install? Or a hand-me-down from a previous build? I suppose it is.

Are you sure about the 1-5-6-6-20 timing? Load up cpuz.

What apps in particular are you running when they slow down?

What software is installed? Any performance-enhancing utilities?

Since you mentioned that it was faster and appearently only resently slowed down, the reformat and reloaded software hopfully will return system performance.

I assume (def of assume - to make an A doulble of you and me) your CL of 1 was a typo

Is your RAM rated CL 4, or 5. I have Corsair CL 4 and my timmings are 4-4-4-12 using a Bus of 400. Is your Ram set to 1:1 ration (FSB=1600)

With regards to redoing your over clock, I would shoot for a Bus of 400 and use the x8 multiplier for a 3.2 GHz CPU clock. I have very simular system - CPU 6400 @ 3.2, 2 Gigs Corcair PC2 6400 CL4 Ram on a 965-DQ6 MB. If your Ram is CL4 you may be able to tighten up your timings.

Using the 7X vs the 8X multiplier should only be a 14 % difference on bencmark, but on my system it was more like 25% differnce.

thioxane

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
My mistake, what I meant to say was I have a 1:1 ratio, not CL 1 =P. Here's what CPUz shows:

My RAM is CL 5. I'm a bit confused about what the memory timing mean, I know lower is better, but how can I maximize RAM performance with the ratio's they give in BIOS (eg 1:1, 1:2)?

What gives me trouble is when I'm running word 2007 along with windows media player, bitcomet, dc++ and a smaller application. It takes a while to switch up between these apps, there's some lag time before I can start using the app, eg. media player when I'm switching from Word 2007. I've set my virtual memory to 3 gigs.

The feeling I get is that though it takes a while to switch between them, once it switches it runs very smoothly. I don't know what the lag is caused by, but I want to get rid of it.

Do not have Bitcom or dc++. Loaded wintv200 (Scifi channel), word, excell and Paintshop pro. Fairly fast switching times.
Avail mem with all open is approx 1.3 Gigs (Have 2 installed).

Open task manager and monitor CPU Usage and Available Phical memory
Also try:
- reducing your bus to 400, use X8 multiple for CPU (Monitor temps
- change your Memory timings (in Bios) to rated values 5-5-5-18 (Leave Trc alone.) also verify your at the recommented Voltage for your RAM

Create a bootable memtest86 disk - verify memory is still fine - No errors. Then boot to operating system open task manager, then apps
Monitor system performance.

akhilles

Splendid
Take a loot at "virtual memory" in start > help. See if it's system managed.

Excessively large vm can slow down a pc with multiple large apps. The windows should switch in a sec, but their contents may take a while to load, if it's cached to hard disk.