Sign in with
Your question

8800GT fan speeds?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2007 2:52:17 PM

Hi all,

i have bought a new pc and its arriving on christmas and i have chosen the gigabyte geforce 8800GT 512mb

but ive read around forums about fan speeds staying locked at 29% on the gfx card and only increasing when the card hits 90c. Surerly this is going to fry the card and i was wondering if this is the same for all 8800GT's like EVGA, GIGABYTE, XFX, MSI and so on

this has just got me worried to have to run rivertuner instead of having just having nvidia control panel, id prefer to not have to run 3rd party applications eventhough rivertuner is great

are there any new driver coming out to fix this? or is the gigabyte make safe of this problem?

some help would be great :) 

More about : 8800gt fan speeds

December 22, 2007 3:18:01 PM

i am having the same problem with an nvidia board. it is causing overheating issues in crysis, even when i use rivatuner to max the fan out. i will be purchasing a zalman vf-900 today to try to fix it, but it is outrageous that 3rd party equipment and software is needed to run a STOCK video card to keep it from overheating. hopefully a new driver will fix it, but I have heard about nothing of the sort. keep your fingers crossed.
December 22, 2007 3:19:07 PM

Rivatuner is 3rd party, awesome and not that hard to use. You could also buy an aftermarket cooler for the card like many of us have done.
Related resources
December 22, 2007 3:47:39 PM

yeh it really pisses me off that nvidia have done this and probably because they want to say they have a quiet card or so that 8800gt cant be overclocked to outperform there new 8800gts g92. lol

they better sort it, its so stupid relying on 3rd party applications to run a card

plz any1 with informaton on new drivers or anything please post :) 
December 22, 2007 4:23:47 PM

I've been building systems for gaming for over 10 years... my 8800GT has been my most stubborn video card ever... however, it's a really powerful tool, i just believe Nvidia should have done more work on the cooling solution before releasing it.

My number one recommendation is to purchase an after market cooling solution... I've never in all my years, considered messing with the manufacturer's cooling solution on a video card... BUT... I ensure you, they are very easy to install and you will find a DRAMATIC decrease in temps and in noise.

I've only used the Thermalright DuoOrb and can say not one bad thing about it... however, i know there are other solutions just as good out there as well...

December 22, 2007 4:31:28 PM

so nvidia are gonna leave the card drivers as they are and let the gt fry with a stock fan?
December 22, 2007 5:52:05 PM

1. eVGA issued a new bios update for their cards
-only upped the speed from 29% to 35%
2. use RivaTuner 2.06
-easy to use, if you don't want to mess with it just use low-level fan control and manually switch speeds between applications, takes about 10-15 seconds to do
http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/449/3
3. add exhaust case fan(s) to get the heat out of your case
4. use an aftermarket cooling solution
http://www.geforce9.com/cooling.php
December 22, 2007 6:07:19 PM

so it looks like im gonna have to use rivatuner...

but does the card run okay at like crazy temperatures like 90c? or does it lag and decrease its lifetime?
December 22, 2007 6:17:07 PM

warlord12345 said:
so it looks like im gonna have to use rivatuner...

but does the card run okay at like crazy temperatures like 90c? or does it lag and decrease its lifetime?

I never let it get that high. 80c would be a safe threshold temp.
Using stock cooler and RivaTuner
idle 58c
load 78c

Zalman VF900 (what I use)
idle 40c
load 57c
December 22, 2007 6:44:47 PM

kk ty m8
i just wish tht the stock cooler would be good enough
December 22, 2007 7:42:01 PM

does it not hard the card running at 90c?
December 22, 2007 8:11:52 PM

does it not harm the card at 90c?**
December 22, 2007 8:15:32 PM

i seem to remember reading some where that the nVidia 8 cards can take up to 100c... but dont quote me on it
December 22, 2007 8:37:20 PM

Rivatuner will fix that. You basicly tell it to run at max in 3d games. I never go over 44c. If you buy ASUS you get a nice utility called SmartDoctor. It gives you full control over all the settings and clocks. You can scale fan speed based on temp and all. OC on the fly, monitor current and temps ect..
a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2007 9:43:44 PM

Try reapplying the thermal paste with some AS5. It dropped my 8800GTX's temps by ~4C.
December 23, 2007 1:13:41 AM

So I took a closer look at my PNY 8800GT, which looks like any other refrence 8800GT, and I gotta say, the thermal paste job they did on the memory and other components is GARBAGE. It's oozed around the memory/components a bit, flaky/brittle, and doesn't seem to make perfect contact.

Is this the case with anyone else's card?

I'm disappointed that none of the reviews stressed how bad the heatsink/fan is. It should have been included as a disclaimer "be prepared to buy an after market cooler, because the stock cooler is utter ****" :D  Maybe they did and I just chose not to listen...

Otherwise this is a good card, but shouldn't have been released until it had a proper stock cooling solution. The thing is nvidia won't pay any penalty for this mistake... it's selling like crazy, even with a nearly failed cooling solution, so that's a testament to the performance / price value.. i guess.

Anyone had success using a Zalman VF700 on the 8800GT? I'm considering taking mine off my 7600GT and replacing the stock sink/fan on my 8800gt. Hell, I bet it would run cooler with nothing but the 3 intake case fans blowing on it instead of the stock fan :D ...
December 23, 2007 2:25:12 AM

I use the evga version and have the same problem! I haven't used Rivatuner yet although I did download it. Because I always have N-Tune running when I game I just set the fan speed to manual and set it around 80%; it's noisey but I like the game sound nice and loud so I don't hear the fan. Temps start around 43c and get to about 62c at the end of the gaming session. I also have a slot cooler sitting right below the video card supplying the cards fan with room air (which is around 17C to 18C). It would be nice if Nvidea could fix the problem; if they admit that there is a problem ??
December 23, 2007 3:18:41 AM

Hi,

I recommend that you head over to www.hardocp.com and read the mega heatsink roundup for the Geforce 8800GT done by Kyle Bennett... Maybe it will give you guys ideas, Here is a direct link for any lazy people like me.

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQyMywx...

I have the Asus 8800GT and temps are not that bad. Idle at 62C and under heavy load it goes to 82C. I'm not to concerned as it is summer here +- 35C in South Africa.

I'm not planning to use the card for 4 years so screw the temperature. I start worrying if temps reach 90C and electron migration starts happening.....
December 23, 2007 3:19:39 AM

toasty2 said:
I ordered a Gigabyte 8800GT that comes with a Zalman VF700, will it be affected by this issue?

I doubt it... the zalman will be much more efficient... although i do see an issue with no ram sinks or mosfet heat sinks... i'd 100% recommend buying an aftermarket set and putting them on the card before running it. Might be fine without it though, up to you.
December 23, 2007 3:42:48 PM

i just installed a zalman vf900 and it made all the difference in the world. no more overheating at all and stable as can be, and with the fan maxed out i still cant hear it at ALL. best fan ever.

conversely, i still had to purchase a $40 cooler to make the stupid thing run (and i do mean it wouldn't run for more than 10 minutes in crysis without overheating and a hard reboot). that is bad planning, and to whoever said "rivatuner is easy to use, just download it and stop complaining," i say get off your fanboy podium. this is my first nvidia card and all i can say is....meh. none of my previous 4 ati cards did this.
December 23, 2007 5:30:59 PM

to be fair, none of my previous Nvidia cards did this either... i think the 8800 G92 GPU's are awesome in power, but the 8800GT reference design was a poorly thought out system and I'm surprised by it considering Nvidia's long history of quality products... I still love my 8800GT though!!! ;) 
December 23, 2007 7:14:30 PM

HoldDaMayo said:
to be fair, none of my previous Nvidia cards did this either... i think the 8800 G92 GPU's are awesome in power, but the 8800GT reference design was a poorly thought out system and I'm surprised by it considering Nvidia's long history of quality products... I still love my 8800GT though!!! ;) 

Totally agree with you. Had to spend the extra $ to run properly also (VF900 + sinks).
December 23, 2007 8:02:50 PM

tawilson said:
none of my previous 4 ati cards did this.

The 3870 has very similar issues to the 8800GT. Even though it is dual slot the default fan speed from most manufacturers has been defaulted to 25% resulting in high idle temperatures and 80-90 load temps. Easily fixed by increasing the fan speed to 40-50% (45 idle 65load ) but still annoying..
December 23, 2007 8:33:17 PM

MikosNZ said:
The 3870 has very similar issues to the 8800GT. Even though it is dual slot the default fan speed from most manufacturers has been defaulted to 25% resulting in high idle temperatures and 80-90 load temps. Easily fixed by increasing the fan speed to 40-50% (45 idle 65load ) but still annoying..

Annoying yes but still cheaper.
January 6, 2008 4:10:10 PM

I also have Asus 8800GT but I can't control the fan no matter what! I've tried rivatuner 2.06, ntune and SmartDoctor, none of them worked. The fanspeed option is greyed out and not accessible. Any ideas or workarounds?

Best regards,
angry and upset norwegian
January 6, 2008 6:12:57 PM

Oki, but I need to modify the fan speed because my computer freezes when I play games due to heating issues. It's stuck at 29% and all fancontrols are greyed out..
January 6, 2008 9:53:44 PM

I just got a BFg GeF 8800GT OC2. I will install it as soon as I get rid of all the Christmas stuff in my home office :( .

I looked around but didn't see anybody mentionning that card. If I'm wrong, will I get the same overheating issues? also, I will install the latest 169.21 (XP) and 169.25 (Vista 64-bit). Are this drivers also affected by the problem?

Thanks for any input!
January 6, 2008 11:06:19 PM

if anything your temps will be worse OC2, ive got OC1 625mhz & have just ordered thermalright GT
January 6, 2008 11:37:42 PM

warlord12345 said:
so nvidia are gonna leave the card drivers as they are and let the gt fry with a stock fan?

Only to those that don't want to run their GPU fan @ 100% duty cycle all of the time. When I first change my GPU fan speed from 42% to 100% my GPU temps dropped 12C at idle.
January 7, 2008 8:29:30 AM

But I can't adjust my fan at all!! No matter what all the fan options are greyed out (Smartdoc) or doesn't exist (rivatuner 2,06). Guess I have to return my card.... :( 
January 7, 2008 8:48:17 AM

snowjogg said:
But I can't adjust my fan at all!! No matter what all the fan options are greyed out (Smartdoc) or doesn't exist (rivatuner 2,06). Guess I have to return my card.... :( 

try this
http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/449/1
everything you need to know
January 10, 2008 12:27:05 PM

I just installed forceware 169.21 and rivatuner and i don't even have the the options that is shown in guru3ds article...
January 10, 2008 5:29:03 PM

goodie said:
if anything your temps will be worse OC2, ive got OC1 625mhz & have just ordered thermalright GT

I have the OC1 as well and my card actually overheated a few times while playing Bioshock. I then discovered that BFG released an updated BIOS that actually changes the fan speed before 90C. Now I can hear my card's fan speed up a little bit when doing 3D but it keeps it cool... enough. I'm thinking about getting the Thermalright GT as well.
January 10, 2008 5:35:23 PM

you wont regret it, temps are awesome!
plus you can overclock to 700mhz
January 10, 2008 6:23:07 PM

Ok a stupid question, but i have no ruler to measure the fan, can you tell if you got the new revision fan somehow?
Is there a device id or revision name or something?

Got rivatuner working and idles at 55c with fan at 29% and don't seem to go above 75c with fan at 55% during load.
July 14, 2008 3:43:01 AM

goodie said:
try this
http://www.guru3d.com/article/article/449/1
everything you need to know

It just says:

"Whoops sorry,

This article you requested is not yet on-line or you reached an invalid URL.

We switched to a new URLs format. Please click here to load the landing page and select the article you like to read. Our apologies for the inconvenience."

Could you help me find this article, please?
!