DVI problems

ravius

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Hi all

I have a very strange problem with my DVI input/outputs

The DVI (digital signal) just stopped working a few weeks ago or intermittanlty working, The computer (Viewsonic VX922 19" LCD Monitor + Nivida 7600 GS +163 drivers) will boot but the desktop will not display.

So i tested the monitor with a Toshiba satellite pro (D-Sub)Analog to (D-Sub)Analog worked fine then i connected a Samsung 20" Wide SM205BW with The DVI cable worked fine. so i conlcuded the DVI port on the Viewsonic VX922 was faulty.

I bough a samsung 2232bw sync master monitor, i have updated to 169.21 nvidia drivers and the DVI will still not work.

it doesnt makes sense unless it was just a fluke that the DVI worked with the samsung 20" Wide SM205BW.

DXsocko007

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Dvi Port on your GPU is not working, usually there are 2 ports try them out. if you have on white (dvi) one blue (rgb aka VGA) and the white doesnt work than your dvi port is busted. Try and RMA it if its new. Other wise use vga and save for a 8800gt

fiber

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
Just a heads-up on the monitor setup, as it worked for me. I have a triple monitor setup but this could apply to yours. Basically check that your cable type is matched with your monitor menu input priority type.

I didn't realize I had one (of 3) monitor setup (in the monitor onscreen setup menu) with the input priority set as "Auto Search", so what happened was on boot the 2 video cards initialized and 2 monitors lit, but the 1 monitor set as Auto Search would not. First I thought I had a Catalyst software settings issue and I could (and did) force the 3rd monitor from CCC, but on reboot the Auto Search monitor didn't have enough time to search for the signal, in time for the loaded desktop. After all 3 monitor menu input priority set to DVI-D all is well and 3 monitors are lit for logon. Pics here: http://mysite.verizon.net/fibre/PC/PC.htm

alabamer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
I just wanted to post another update on this topic.

I had been using a Viewsonic 22" vx2235wm3 on a macmini using the DVI input (This monitor has two inputs, VGA and DVI) and it worked just fine for quite a few months. Then all of a sudden the display wouldn't work. The monitor would say nothing was connected, so I tried using the DVI cable with a VGA adapter and plugged that into the VGA in of the Viewsonic. That worked just fine. I figured I had a busted monitor and needed to take it back...

This was about a year ago.

I've since moved the monitor to a powerbook (with a DVI output) and it also wouldn't work on the DVI input of the monitor but was just fine using the adapter with the DVI cable and the VGA input on the monitor.

Then this morning, I thought I'd research a bit to see if anyone else had this problem and I came across this thread. Nothing specifically in this thread helped me other, but "Fibers" comment triggered me to try a few things.

First, I went into the monitor menu (could only do this when the monitor would display the menu while the laptop was plugged into the monitor over the DVI/VGA Adapter.) and did "Input Select"->"Digital" (I didn't even realize I need to use this as before it always auto selected). Then I ran a straight DVI cable from the laptop to the monitor with no success. Then on the mac I went into my monitor setup and told it to "Detect Displays" and voila! Everything was working perfectly.

Not sure if this will help someone or not, but I haven't been using the digital input on this monitor for at least 9 months until this morning! ;)

Thanks guys for making me think about it...

shinobi78

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
are you using the vga port and dvi port? how are they connected? tried looking at the picture but the site "http://mysite.verizon.net/fibre/PC/PC.htm[/quotemsg" is locked already.