Powering the Gigabyte P35-DS4

gary101

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Can anyone help answer this question? (That wasn't the question) :p It may seem like a "well, duh!" kind of question, but thanks for bearing with me.

This is my second build. I've got my Q6600 and Rosewill aftermarket Cooler installed on my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 Rev. 2.0. I've got my Crucial Ballistix memory installed for dual-channel use. I've got my Corsair HX520 PSU installed. Mobo is installed in my case (CM690). Now I'm trying to connect power.

I've got the CPU heatsink fan plugged in right (that's a duh install to me). I've got one of the case fans plugged into the mobo (the second one won't reach, so it's going to plug into the PSU). Now I want to plug the main power into the mobo.

Do I plug in both of the largest plugs or just one of them (the 24-pin and the 8-pin one northwest of the CPU--the one with the plug in 4 of the sockets). The instructions seem less than clear about this, though here's what I think I'm supposed to do: Plug them both in. The 24-socket one is, I think, there to generally power everything connected to the mobo. The 8-socket (or pin or whatever) one is, I think, almost exclusively for the CPU. (Am I right about these?)

So do I plug them both in?

As an aside, there's an additional plug labelled PCIE_12V in the northeastern part of the motherboard. I'll be installing a Geforce 8800 GT OC. Do I install power to the card or the board? (My answer would be that the power socket on the board is for running a second card, but I just want to verify with you knowledgeable folks.)

hypermagic

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
yes, plug both the 24pin and the 8pin in, as the 8pin is the CPU's power socket. The 24pin is the Motherboard's.

Not sure about the PCIE_12V tho, consult your manual

grees00

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008

You're right mate, 'tis in your manual, p.25 -

This power connector can supply extra power to the PCI Express x16 slots on the motherboard.
Connect the power supply cable to this connector when using two graphics cards. Failure to do so
may lead to an unstable system.

So you only need to connect to the 6-pin power connector on the card if you're just running the one card.

gary101

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Thanks for the info, guys. Perhaps I shouldn't have been trying to read Engrish instructions so late at night, but it's good to have your input.