Sign in with
Your question

S/PDIF Audio problems with GA-X38-DQ6

Last response: in Motherboards
January 14, 2008 2:15:28 AM

I am running Vista 64bit and have had no problems with this board until I tried to hook up the machine to my audio visual system. While I can get sound at the on board rear panel jacks, the S/PDIF is totally dead, no LED activity at the optical jack at all. Gigabytes Audio Manager didn't install and even updating to the latest audio driver didn't help. As far as I can discover the S/PDIF is turned on at all appropriate places in the Windows control panel and when it is tested from the control panel sound tab, I get the little signal meter indicating that sound is geing generated but the S/PDIF ports remain silent.

Maybe I am not looking in all the right places and I missed some secret switch somewhere, I would appreciate some words of wisdom form others who are successfully using S/PDIF.

Thanks.
January 15, 2008 4:52:31 AM

UPDATE: Got RealTek HD driver 1.84 from their web site when it came back on line today. Now have the Audio Manager but still no SPDIF output
January 16, 2008 2:23:04 AM

well I have nothing to hook this up to but I will try and test my board for flashy light anyway and let you know am at work atm for another 5 hours so later then...

Related resources
January 16, 2008 2:31:40 AM

I also upgraded to BIOS F7 and tried Microsofts KB 936225 Hotfix just incase it was the 32bit driver issue, no luck, still dead LED. I am very interested to hear what luck you have with the S/PDIF LED on your board.

THanks for checking for me.
January 16, 2008 11:21:17 AM

Ok I do have a red led back there not sure it is working I tryed to set it as default but no change ( it did not flash any stayed a solid led)

January 17, 2008 2:59:16 AM

Bohoba said:
Ok I do have a red led back there not sure it is working I tryed to set it as default but no change ( it did not flash any stayed a solid led)

You have more activity than I have...Not light, no coaxial signal to amp and no signal to the ASUS HDMI video card. The device manager, the audio device panel under the realtek icon all say that everything is working and I even get a signal on the Digital Audion "Vu" meter. THe speaker setting works just fine on all ports so I guess the DIgital audio portion of this board is malfunctioning. I will try to get an audio card to work as a last resort, failing that I guess I have to replace the motherboard. Not looking forward to that! :pfff: 

Thanks for your help in sorting out this mess, I hope I can return the favor sometime.
!