Computer not even POSTing

alexwalter88

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Well, below is a conversation I've had with the tech support at NCIX to solve this problem with my 4 month old computer. It simply doesn't even start the POST and nothing shows on the monitor. As said in the conversation, I thought it was a motherboard failure, but then a couple of days after it broke the computer started working perfectly again. And for almost a month it has worked fine, but now the problem is back and NCIX is telling me to RMA my computer. Is it possible to be a serious hardware failure if it was working for 4 months, broke for a couple days, then worked for another month? Before I RMA I'd like to get suggestions from some other people first because I need my computer for school work.

Thanks guys.

Dated Nov 19, 2007 at 07:12 PM composed by you
My problem first started when my computer froze while installing a game. I restarted the computer a couple of times but although my computer powered on, my monitor stayed in power saving mode, as if the computer wasn't even on. I was pretty sure it was a hardware failure and since the video card was overclocked when it first froze and the monitor wasn't displaying anything, I thought the video card most likely died. I then switched it out with the video card from my old computer but unfortunately with no success. After that I realized my computer wasn’t even POSTing (No system beeps at all). I thought I might as well remove the memory to see if that was somehow preventing the POST from starting since it’s quick and easy but it also was not the problem. I’m thinking that only a CPU or motherboard failure could stop the computer from POSTing but I’d like some advice on the matter. Once again, the video card was the only thing overclocked and there were no abnormal smells, so I don’t believe anything overheated.

Dated Nov 20, 2007 at 11:57 AM reply from Ncix Support
Hi Alex,
The only suggestions we'd have for you is if you are comfortable doing so:
1) Clear CMOS
2) Reseat the CPU
3) Test the motherboard outside the case to make sure it is not shorting inside.
After doing what you can from our suggestions above and the system is still not posting, please email me back and I can issue a RMA (Return Meerchandise Authorization) for you to return the system for servicing or just the motherboard if you are comfortable replacing it on your own.

Dated Nov 20, 2007 at 01:47 PM reply from you
I forgot to mention that I had already tried clearing the CMOS.
Every morning since my computer stopped working I have turned it on just as a lost hope to see if somehow it had fixed itself. But in an interesting turn of events, my computer randomly started working this morning. I cleared the CMOS on Sunday and had turned it on several times since then. Clearing the CMOS 2 days ago was the only thing that has changed since removing some components for troubleshooting, so could it have taken 2 days to take effect?
Well even if that did fix my computer this shouldn't have even happened in the first place, so what should I to prevent it from happening again?

Dated Nov 20, 2007 at 02:43 PM reply from Ncix Support
Hi Alex,
In some cases, leaving the CMOS battery out or the jumper set to clear cmos for a day will allow the system to post correctly but it is rare. You may want to see if there may be an issue with your power by plugging it into a different power outlet if the problem occurs again. You do have a one year warranty on the system so I'd say to continue to use the system to see if the problem occurs in the meantime.

Well, if you believe you have a bad MB, one way to find out. Be sure you have a working speaker connected to the MB speaker header. Many cases supply a speaker for this purpose. If you have heard the MB 'beep' before, this function is working. Remove ALL the RAM and boot the computer. If you DO NOT hear the MB beeping signifying there is no RAM in the system, yiou have a MB problem. Anyway, if you are all set to RMA to the Mfg. just go that route. HTH.

alexwalter88

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I think the system beeped when it was working (I'm not totally sure though), but now it doesn't beep even when I remove the RAM or the video card. I thought it was a motherboard problem originally but then my computer fixed itself and worked fine for a month before breaking again. How could it run perfectly fine for a month if there was a problem? I just don't understand that.

My PSU is the Corsair CMPSU-620HX and I remember when I first got my system I checked the voltages and they were good.

Specs taken right from Tom's Hardware review:

ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V v2.91 Compliant
High efficiency
80%+ Under Wide Load Ranges
Overvoltage/Overcurrent/Short-Circuit protection
Active PFC
MTBF:100,000 hours
100~240Vac 10-5A 50/60Hz
+3.3V(24A), +5V(30A), +12V1(18A), +12V2(18A), +12V3(18A) Maximum ratings are shown.

And to be clear, my computer actually powers on, all the lights, fans, etc. work. Another thing I guess I should mention is that this time and the last time this problem happened Q-Fan bios setting doesn't seem to be on (CPU fan runs at max). I guess this means that all the bios settings are at their default as well.

If you hosed a BIOS update, the MB could become disfunctional. Otherwise, resetting the CMOS jumper could solve the problem. To reset the CMOS jusmper you must unplug the system from the wall and remove the battery. Then reset the jumper. Detailed instructions are in the MB manual if it came with your system. If the BIOS fails to default, your MB is likely shot. Some ASUS boards have a 'BIOS recovery' function capability using the MB CD.

alexwalter88

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I cleared the CMOS last night but unfortunately it didn't solve the problem. And I did do a BIOS update when I first got my computer and it worked for 3 months after that before the computer stopped working, and then worked for another month after that. So I guess I'll try hooking up the PSU from my old computer, then I'll look into this BIOS recovery cd thing, and if that doesn't work I guess I'll be RMAing my motherboard. :( Unless someone else has any other ideas :)

If the MB beep codes are not functioning, it is likely your problem lies there. Really, you would have to have a spare system w/working MB to check all the hardware out and see if CPU, RAM, video card etc. are working properly. How about the CPU, are you using the stock Intel HSF? Check to see the HSF is making connections with the CPU. Push down on the HSF and see if it is seated properly. Reseat the video card too. Check all the connectors to the HD's and optical drives also.

alexwalter88

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Ok well I've already tested video card with the one out of my old computer. And as per my specs in my signature, I have a Zalman CNPS9700NT HSF and touching it anywhere feels cold. And I do have a spare system, but it has DDR1 not DDR2 and it uses AMD socket 939, therefore I can't test CPU or RAM. Also, it seems I can't test using my old computer's PSU because it only has an ATX 4 pin 12v cable instead of an EATX 8 pin 12v cable

Have you added any hardware since the system began failing? Like the sound card, etc? Remove any hardware you installed after the system began failing. Use only the hardware that worked in the beginning.

Plug the 4 pin 12v PSU CPU auxillary power lead lead into one side of the 8 pin MB connector. That should work fine. I don't have an ASUS P35, but I do it all the time with other MB's.

How about unplug everything except the CPU, RAM and video card. Unplug the HD's and Optical drives, floppy, sound card, etc. and see if you can POST into BIOS with just the CPU, RAM and video card ONLY.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
That's the next step, don't forget any USB headers and all of the headers for the front case connestions e.g., pwr, reset, HD LED etc. Use a paper clip to temporarily short the PWR header pins.

Do the fans spin?

If the computer suddenly just came one, you likely have a bad cable/connector and the system is shorting out. You might consdier replacing the hardware cables leading to the MB and see if this fixes the problem.

Did you use the MB mounting 'risers'. The brass studs that allow the MB to elevate up from touching the case chassis? How about the sound card? Has that been there since the beginning? Is it seated properly? What connectors run from it if any?

alexwalter88

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
it didn't come on by itself but it worked when pressed the power button.

wow so many replies at once, where to start.

ok well yes the mb mounting risers are used, NCIX built my computer so if they didn't do that then that person is an idiot.

It was still the same PSU.

And as i stated in an earlier post,my computer had power just nothing would show up on the monitor.

When you pressed the power buton before...did you get NOTHING? Blank. No power at all? The power button may be dislodged form the case. You can take the front panel off the case and check that the power button is firmly seated and making contact properly. Got to go to radiology right now, be back.