2 x nVidia GEForce 7900 GT/GTO 512Mb
2Gb Corsair RAM (2 x 1Gb sticks)
Onboard NIC

I've updated:

The MoBo's BIOS
The GPU drivers
The Mobo SLI drivers
The NIC drivers

What's happening, is that I can start up a game and play fine for about 45 seconds with a solid FPS of 60-90+. After this, my FPS falls to absolutely horrible levels, along the lines of 5-9 FPS. Once it hits this low frame rate, it doesn't recover (that I've seen, after ~3 minutes of this, I get the craps and log out so as to save the computer from going through the wall).

For single player, this would be frustrating but tolerable. Unfortunately, the majority of my gaming is online, multiplayer, so this is unbelievably frustrating and intolerable.

I've got system monitoring equipment going while this is occuring. CPU rarely breaches %60 utilisation, most commonly sitting at about %54. RAM stays at similar levels, the highest I've seen it is about %70. GPU 1 temperature averages 107 degree's celcius while under operation, spiking to 114 degree's celcius on occasion. GPU 2 averages 90 or so degree's while under operation.

I've used a registry cleaning tool to clean up all the bits and pieces that can accumulate with the awesomeness that is Winblows.

I've set the video settings to the absolute minimum and the same thing still happens. It's occured on Call of Duty 4, as well as Quake Wars : Enemy Territory

Any idea's? I'd certainly love to hear 'em.

I'm willing to try anything at all to get this fixed.

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007

Dude, your cards are going to blow up, how the heck are you cooling them? Did you check if the fans on the cards are working? The reason the fps drops is because the cards overheat, its their way of saying "Turn me off before i catch fire".

As i said check that the fans are working correctly, and try to avoid gaming until you fix it or you might burn them out.

Hope this helps.

evilshuriken

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Wow... I can't believe your gpu temps at over 100C didn't set off an alarm inside your head.

My overclocked x1800xt never reached past 75C with a pretty high voltage increase, so I wonder how your cards are getting so hot.

How is the airflow inside your case?
What kind, and how many fans?
How are your other system temps(CPU, Mobo)?

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

:ouch:

gone fishin'

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Open your Nvidea control panel and on the left is monitor temperature levels, open it and note that on the bottom there is a sentence that says, slowdown thereshold 115C, put some fans in the case dude

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

You don't see a problem here? Your GPU's are throttling down to prevent meltdown because of the way to hot temperatures. Time to get a better PC case with greater airflow, seriously.

My 8800GTX idles at 52C and at full load its only 68C max temp.

thegatekeeper

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Well, you COULD improvise and use your GPU's as a state of the art dual barbecue.

Or not.

As for a case, i would recommend one of these babies, solid as a rock:

beer_computer.jpg