Sign in with
Your question

Need help with freeing IRQs

Last response: in Motherboards
January 14, 2008 3:53:23 PM

Hi!

I have had a problem with my asus P5K mobo for quite some time.
Usually I got the BSOD saying the IRQL_NOT_QUAL_OR_LESS. With a lot of testing and reinstalls I located that the built in soundcard was the culprit, deactivating it caused the problem to vanish.

So I bought a new sound card, and it has helped but not entirely, as the random BSODs still pop up from time to time (but not as often) I get two different BSODs, one with the irql not equal or less, and one that just states that it has dumped the physical memory, only once did I get one with a driver stated ks.sys

However I was told that freeing up IRQ by disabling devices in the BIOS has helped, so I've already disabled the soundcard and the floppy. So I'm asking you to tell me what more I can disable.

My hardware configuration is as follows:

MOBO: Asus P5K, P35, Socket-775, DDR2,
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500GB SATA2
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
RAM: Corsair TWIN2X 6400 DDR2, 2048MB CL5
Graphic card: XFX GeForce 8800GTS 500M 640MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV/HDCP, 320-bit
Samsung DVD +/- RW

Thanks for any help in advance.

ps. Yes I have the latest drivers for the hardware installed.

More about : freeing irqs

January 14, 2008 4:28:57 PM

use naother pci slot
thats thesolution
I bet that sound hard is a creative labs sound blaster audigy 2 right?

also, if you bought a new sound card, why the hell you stil kept the onboard sound? thatonly gives bugs.. I recommend you disable also SATA ports that are NOT in use.

the SATA controllers and onboard stuff like sound and ethernet are the ones that usually eat more IRQs..
January 14, 2008 4:40:09 PM

I did deactivate the on board sound device, with going for a different PCI slot, well the other free one is located under my 8800 GTS graphic card so I can't do that. As for my soundcard it's a Creative SB X-Fi XtremeGamer ,PCI, Retail.

So disabling SATA ports that are not used, Also Raid etc, I don't think I need those activated right?
!